Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Operating the cz5 with discrimination on zero

Ton1000

I've been hunting with a cz5 for years and the best advice I ever received on this detector was to run it with discrimination on zero. that's when I started really finding more coins, probably because there was less masking than having on discriminate one or two. Anybody else operate a CZ detector with discriminate on 0 and hunt for old coins in Parks and had good results as well? Or anybody else like to use discrimination on one and had good results as well? Thanks.

But it does take practice and some patience.

A brand new CZ owner will probably run in a higher setting and then once they go on the forums or ask questions from seasoned CZ users, the first thing most of us say is if running in discriminate mode, run in 0. The next would be don't run sensitivity too high. Sweep slower than usual. Make sure GB is spot on.

I never use anything but 0 when I hunt in discriminate mode. I have dug a lot of deep silver dimes and quarters in places I know are old, listening to low tone/high tone bounces. I get a clearer picture of the target and can pin point more accurately when the deep targets are sounding off consistently as opposed to if I was running a higher discriminate setting and only hearing a high tone every so often. That's just me. My ear has been tuned to the CZ's since I have been using my trusty CZ6a since I first got it back in 1995 (give or take a year). The unit works the same since the day I bought it. Still amazes me.

I was not aware of silver dimes or quarters doing a high-tone low tone bounce, I think you mean Hi-Tone and iron grunt? I always thought deep silver came in clean, but very faint.

I found alot of Indian heads and wheat backs what's a high tone iron grunt which I thought was probably just a degraded signal because the coins were deep. I have found silver dimes and quarters really deep but they always came in nice but quiet. Can you elaborate on what I should be listening for a high tone low tone bounce on a silver dime or quarter that's really deep? Thanks.

The point I was trying to make was there are times when deep targets can bounce, and in areas where you know deep silver and wheaties exist, it's best to dig those targets.

Since I only hunt in 0, there are times when a low iron tone creeps in along with the high tones. Could it be the ground, a near by small iron target, the halo of the coin fooling the unit...who knows. If the high tones are prominent, I dig. Shoot, there are times when the high tones are not as prominent and I still dig, if I know I am in a spot that has produced old, deep silver coins. Using the VCO pin point I can size the target and pretty much know if it is an elongated deep nail or bigger iron. That's what is nice about the CZ. Learning to size a target by continuing to press and let go of the pin point button over and over again to get a really accurate size and pin point is great.

I won't dig deep low tone only targets.

Bottom line is hunting in 0 allows one to listen to the iron and not get fooled by iron wrapping. But one never knows what that deep target is, regardless of the sound, unless you dig it up. I been surprised at the deep coins I have dug that were not faint high tone only targets.

Been using CZ's since my original CZ6( late90) and every model ever made and takes practice and a trained ear experimentation and a lot of digging will get you the ones the guys with the newest units out there missed...I am sure therover can attest to this as he is indeed one of the old timer CZ jockies...

Yup. The only metal detector I have and use is the CZ6a. Always hunt in 0 discrimination, hear all the tones.
The hi/lo tone bounce is 90% rusty nail, but the other 10% can be deep silver.

Ken

ken(toronto) said:
Yup. The only metal detector I have and use is the CZ6a. Always hunt in 0 discrimination, hear all the tones.
The hi/lo tone bounce is 90% rusty nail, but the other 10% can be deep silver.

Ken

For sure, I use to unit in disc 1
not anymore these guys convinced me of that
I'm 61 and thought I was old you guys make me feel like a young man:)
Thanks

therover is the one who got me listening to it all. Always excellent advice from him and Dan. Only thing I'll add is that coil speed is important. Sweep too fast and you miss targets. Even with a fairly slow sweep, the target ID can bounce. I've had nails bounce low tone to high tone until the coil speed gets very slow and then nearly all of the nails stay low tone. I've dug a lot of them just to make sure I was interpreting the detector properly. A bouncing tone target with a very slow sweep is a dig.

Good point tvr sweep slow and listen and you will get the real deep silver....I learned this the hard way when my partner was beating me with silver coins until I tired after a long day and swept slow...yep he bought supper as I grabbed several silvers in the last hour....

Would zero disc. work on all CZ detectors ? I have a very nice CZ7a, not PRO, I have used very little, I think it is because of the 12 batterys it needs. I just got 20 rechargables and going to get after it.

That CZ7a you have Flintstone, although it uses 12 batteries, is balanced really well. I kinda liked those units.

Take if for a spin !!! Run in 0 disc, nothing notched out, listen to all targets and re-learn that CZ. Still a great unit to hunt with.

I ran a CZ5 for years and always ran 0 disk. Slow way down in iron and it will hit the coins. I rarely dug iron/high tone bouncers. You can get some good finds that way, but you will dig iron.

On a deep signal with iron / high / iron tone bounce, if I can get a repeatable high tone on a couple of swings it's coming out of the ground. Silver coins on edge will read like this when deep.

The big 10 1/2" coil seems to like deep coins on edge.

Roger