Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

" PHYLLIS A"

Ron J

This is the "PHYLLIS A" out of Gloucester Mass., the oldest fishing vessel in Gloucester, now retired about 20 years. Richard Arnold standing on deck, is one of the family who owned and fisher her. His family had the vessel built in 1925. Richard grew up as a fisherman along with his Father and Brothers. He served in the Coast Guard for twenty years, aboard the Nantucket Lightship, amongst others. Richard was also Lighthouse Keeper in Gloucester Harbor. Retired from the Coast Guard, he fished the PHYLLIS A for twenty years, before retiring Her. The vessel doesn't look too bad for 87 yrs of age, and neither does Richard at 82! Richard survived Hurricane EDNA during 1954, while serving aboard the NANTUCKET Lightship LV112, when a 60+ rogue wave rode over the entire ship!
Old vessels such as this are a dying breed, and a piece of history that is disappearing rapidly.
Rj:usaflag:

Wonder if he could get the Mystic Seaport to adopt it. Lot of good work there done on wooden hulls. They have a few old Cat boats there they keep up real nice for viewing.

George-Ct

I haven't been visiting here for awhile, figured I would help give the TALES and DIGITAL forums a little boost by posting a few things. How have you been?
I have Been keeping busy, between still being employed, volunteering on the Nantucket Lightship in East Boston and as Historian for the Lightship Sailors Association.
This past summer, I had my personal Coast Guard collection of memorabilia , many Uniforms on mannequins, dishes, buoy lanterns etc., on display at the Newburyport Customs House Museum in Newburyport Mass. For 3 months. I stay busy, and so far healthy? (Knock on wood)!
If you are ever in the Boston Area, let me know, would be glad to give you or anyone else a personal tour of the Nantucket LV112. Just needs to be on a weekend!

Mystic Seaport is a great place. Is the Morgan still on the hard, or back in the water yet?
Ron

Aging process adds a few problems into the mix but over all, doing ok. Always things here that need work, just takes a lot longer now than it used to.
I remember reading you were doing a lot with the Coast Guard and associated groups. Sounds like you have a great collection there.
Here is whats listed on the Charles W Morgan on the Seaports website.

The Charles W. Morgan is the last remaining wooden whaleship and the oldest American commercial vessel still in existence. Built in 1841 in New Bedford, Massachusetts, she sailed on 37 voyages around the globe during an 80-year whaling career. The vessel came to Mystic Seaport in 1941 and was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1967. More than 20 million Mystic Seaport visitors have walked the whaleship's decks. Currently undergoing an extensive restoration in the Museum's Preservation Shipyard, the Morgan will be re-launched in July of 2013 and will embark on her 38th Voyage to historic ports in New England in 2014.

Sure a nice looking ship to view. I always enjoy seeing it. I used to see it moored there from I-95 at the lookout point. Pretty picture for sure.

How did you guys fair up that way with Sandy storm? I'm inland just lots of tree damage but coastline took a pretty good beating. Where I detect at Watch Hill its still closed off to the public.

Good seeing you on here again.

George-CT

n/t