Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

PI or VLF for beach hunting

A

Anonymous

G,day All Im hitting the beach in the morning & cant decide on what detector to use .I have a Sea Hunter MkII with 8"coil PI unit,VLF GTAX1000 in beach mode with a DD 10"x14" coil.
I havent fully tried out the sea hunter yet mainly because i havent got my long handled scoop made yet.
I normally use my GTAX it gets me good depth & coverage but when i hit the wet sand i have to back off the sens a bit,so i lose a bit of depth doing this but runs stable.
Or Should I use the PI detector & become more familiar with its tones & funtions,I have heard from others that a PI will out do a VLF in depth is this true.
Need Advice please help?
Freddy (Aus)

not be affected by any salt environment that I have experienced. It will be just as comfy on the dry sand as in the ocean. The depth probably is a little deeper with the p.i. especially in the water. You will have to have your long handled scoop to be successful, because you may have to hunt deeper to avoid the pulltabs and bottlecaps. I don't use discrimination of any kind in the surf but you will have to use some on the beach as there is so much trash. Cheers!

big alum scoop by bill babb and another big one by reily's S/S model
i love the s/s one, it makes digging easier, sand exits faster and waves do not jerk it around much,
B U T............comes in just over 7lbs.
like u, i try and use it when i hunt in the deep surf.
now my alum babb's scoop is big and light just over 3lbs.............does not bother my shoulder, works great, but sand does not exit as fast, have to give it an extra shake...........waves knock it around bad and it is hard to get on the target in the surf for this reason.............B U T I LOVE IT.
the s/s model was so heavy after many years, Low Tide Tim and myself.........Ghost Team..........we drag these babies now............probably looks funny to some, B U T I LOVE IT TOOOOO.
see ya
good luck

I haven't weighed mine, but I would estimate it quite possibly at 3 times that much. Who knows who cares, but I'll tell you this much, I bet you your next nut clad that I won't break that bad boy. Just as a precausion though I had another one built because as you know Murphy's law multiplies in the surf. Later Max.