Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

PI vs Excal/WOT combo

A

Anonymous

I have a Excalibur 1000, and would wondering if it would be better (economically) to go for a CS7 or to get a WOT 15" and cable connector?
I'll primarily be beach hunting, but plan on getting a coin/relic dredge and doing some water hunting mostly for relics.
Thanks, Leslie Hamilton

Thanks for the input Bill. The economics of a detector include the initial cost vs the payback in finds. I assume that when we're looking for gold, that most of the targets would be considered small.
I've never used a PI, so I don't know what to expect on depth vs target size. Let's use a dime size target for a standard.I know that air test often aren't a true judge of ground conditions, but let's just assume that it's a fair average of relative signal strength. On my Excal with the 10" coil I can air test a dime at 7". How much increase would I get by going to a 15" coil?
How would it compare to a PI? What coil sizes are available on PI machines and how do they compare? How big does a coil have to get before you start losing the dime size, and smaller targets?
One thing that I have to consider if I do get a dredge, it will be easy to "dig" all targets.
Thanks, Leslie

I have an e-mail from a person that is using the Excalibur with the WOT coil. He told me that it basicly doubled his depth over the Excal w/10" coil on coins. He also gets better depth on gold rings and he feels that he still can get small gold items. But he does also does say that the CS-7 is still the way to go for deep gold rings if there is not to much iron. He hunts in California and many beachs there are covered with iron from people building camp fires at night on the beach.
Before buying a dredge, you better check the local laws on this. It is my understanding that most beachs will not allow you to use a dredge. This is something to check out before spending the money for a dredge.
Terry

I too have a WOT coil and it does indeed increase depth with no noticable drop in sensitivity to small stuff. Seemingly it's more sensitive than the 10" coil. I'm in California, and the beaches I hunt, for the most part, are covered with trash, many nails from buildings next to the beach, also melted cans from bonfires, etc., however down next to the water the PI works well, in the dry sand they're usually unusable due to trash. In this case the minelab+WOT combo works quite well.
Just my 0.02