Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

PI?

markg

I was hunting Sunday afternoon in one of my old school yards where in years past they dumped the coal waste from the furnaces. This material attracts to a magnet and can cause weird problems for a metal detector especially after a soaking rain. Well anyway I was hunting the area with my (None Whites machine) The machine was very noisy with ticks and clicks and sporadic high tones. After a while I decided to switch to monotone (one tone) and started digging anything that even started to repeat. I came across a very loud signal and knew it was close to the surface, but the VDI numbers were everywhere but mostly in the iron range. Switching over to 4 tone and the audio sounded like pure trash and I can say for sure I would not have dug this target in any setting other than monotone (actually reminds me of the Tesoro Tejon one tone detector) I Also know from experience how some ground conditions and co-located iron objects can cause the VDI to be very bouncy. So I decided to recover this target and at 1

I have never coal cinders or waste with a GPX 5000. It handles almost anything that you can throw at it due to the large number of "timings" designed to eliminate various ground conditions. However, a GPX is not a cheap date so a lot to spend just to find out unless you could find somebody with one to give it a try. The White's TDI with its adjustable pulse delay would be a much less expensive option. Regular non-ground balancing PI detectors would be iffier yet. I wish I had a better naswer for you. The main problem with a PI may be it may handle the coal but if there is any ferrous material in the mix you could end up going nuts on ferrous trash.