Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pin -Point ?

Dennis 2

Pin-Pointing ?
Just wanted to know how you pin-point with the 10.5 coil . Is it at the front tip of the coil . Or the center ? If its the Center , were exactly is the center of the coil ?
thanks
Dennis 2

If you have the Quattro book by Andy Sabisch, he has a very good section on pin-pointing with the Quattro. If you don't have the book, you really need to get it because it has all you need to know about the Quattro including tutorials on making your own custom programs for which ever hunting you prefer.

It's about an inch in front of the point where the shaft meets the coil. It's one of the easiest machines there is to pinpoint with.

My recommendation is to practice with some small items on the surface, in a clean area. Raise the coil off the ground a few inches to simulate depth. You should have it down pat in about 5 minutes and be ready to do it with success on in-ground items.

The graphical LCD pinpoint box is one of the coolest things about the Quattro, to me. One point that some seem to miss is that on shallower targets, the box will fill completely and be fully shaded when you are "dead on" the target. On the deeper targets, that isn't so. I've dug items that were over a foot deep that were "barely there", either in audio or pinpoint. When you get the best possible "shade-age" that you can, dig. Sometimes if it's like a deep Barber dime or similar, you may only get a 1/4 of the box to shade in...if that. You have to use a little finess, hit it from multiple angles, and make SURE you've done the best job you can getting right over it, then go with it. Does that help?

Previous replies pretty much "cover" it. I do the same as Mike mentioned, but I pay close attention to the sound. I'm to the point now that while listening only, I can do a quick side to side wiggle and a couple of fore and aft "slides" and I have it. (I guess my mind is dividing the fore and aft slide time of the "maximum sound" in half. ??)

There is a small (approximately 1/8th inch) circle type marking on the coil cover in front of where the shaft meets the coil that "should" be the PIN POINT location. I re-read Andy's book occasionally. I do recommend it.

BE SURE you have the coil "flat horizontal" when PIN POINTING.

Thanks everyone for your help . Found the spot on the coil for center . I also got Andy's Book . Can't wait to get out this weekend ....