Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pinpoint behavior question

lomoch

I love this machine. Absolutely.

But...

I don't understand pinpoint. I am detecting a target, coming in loud and clear on sweeps; I press the pinpoint button; I see the pinpoint mode with rectangle; I move over target and hear nothing; sometimes I hear nothing and and see the rectangle close in a bit indicating signal strength; sometimes I press the pinpoint button a few times and then it kicks into gear where I hear tone. Sometimes I click the pp button and it works as I expected. I sent the controller in to the distributer thinking something was wrong, but they inform all good, and that the pinpoint mode will discrim over bad targets, thus silence. I've not played around with the non motion modes, but could I have affected the pinpoint mode accidental by going into one of the no motion modes and messing something up? Does pinpoint really discrim? I didn't think it would.

Appreciate the help.
Randy.

I agree with pescadore. I was doing this a lot when I first started with the Deus. Make sure you are not near any targets when you hit pinpoint and that should solve your problem. Let us know if this works. HH -Marc

Found an old post by Andy. It would seem pinpoint has its own sens. Question becomes in my mind, does default pinpoint act as all metal, or does it discrim. I would think the former. I know there is other non-motion modes. Just talking about default pinpoint.

All metal in default

If you stay OUT of pin point mode and slowly swing shorter and shorter swings over the target, in a short time of practicing, even with trash close by, you will be able to pinpoint your target without ever leaving your hunting program.

Thanks, and yes, I'm somewhat versed in pinpointing via coil methods...but, the machine has a pinpoint button/functionality. So, my question is not how to pinpoint for those that are kind enough to give the lesson, but why my machine, when the pinpoint button is pressed, sometimes gives audio and responds to target and sometimes does not.

lomoch said:
Thanks, and yes, I'm somewhat versed in pinpointing via coil methods...but, the machine has a pinpoint button/functionality. So, my question is not how to pinpoint for those that are kind enough to give the lesson, but why my machine, when the pinpoint button is pressed, sometimes gives audio and responds to target and sometimes does not.
That is the tune keypad also, I made a post above as to all about tune or threshold.............

I sometimes have similar issues. Sometimes I wiggle off the target and then dig. Andy Sabisch told me to move coil away from target before going into pinpoint and this appears to work most of the time.

I have to set my pinpoint sensitivity up from 74 every time I turn on the machine. Andy, who taught me how to hunt and also sold me this machine, (plus my Etrac, Exterra 70 and original Ace 250) was telling me that he pinpoints in one of the other modes, not target. I hope to learn this from him soon.

Good luck!

Tenspeed said:
I sometimes have similar issues. Sometimes I wiggle off the target and then dig. Andy Sabisch told me to move coil away from target before going into pinpoint and this appears to work most of the time.

I have to set my pinpoint sensitivity up from 74 every time I turn on the machine. Andy, who taught me how to hunt and also sold me this machine, (plus my Etrac, Exterra 70 and original Ace 250) was telling me that he pinpoints in one of the other modes, not target. I hope to learn this from him soon.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info and time Tenspeed, much appreciated. I'd very much like to hear from you after your learn from Andy regarding using another pinpoint method...using one of the non-motion modes. I often wonder what I'm doing wrong...sometimes it acts/behaves as it expect, sometimes not...

Randy

Yesterday I went hunting for a couple of hours. I attempted the non-motion, but kept coming back to pinpoint. I learned that if I moved the coil off the target to clean ground (as Andy told me to do) and then left it on the ground when I hit the pinpoint button it worked most if not all the time.

I went to a site Andy turned me on to where he said he found a lot of silver and he didn't leave much: 2 wheaties, a 50 cent 1982 Arabic coin of some sort (came up like a nickel but is gold in color), 2 quarters, 7 dimes and 8 copper memorials (also a couple of pounds of copper pipe from where the buildings were removed. I am helping Andy move this evening and I am going to ask him if he left anything for me to find!! Hopefully I can learn the other pinpoint method before I leave this evening and he has moved away.

At least the time is helping me learn the machine. I can't wait to know it as well as I know my ETrac (3.5 years of use) and hope it doesn't take as long.