Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pinpointer/Probe

MajaPalra

More reading -- another question. I have come across some discussion regarding electonic pinpointers. Having one of these seems like a good idea to more quickly find a target once I'm close. Any recommendations?

You know that's a good question. I actually own a pinpointer but I've never actually used it yet. I can't believe I havn't tried it out yet, except to kind of try it in the house. I have to get it pretty close to the coin for it to go off, but it does work and lets you know within about an inch or two if your near the target. I'll have to really try it out in the field and I'll get back to the forum and give you a report.

I have a vibra probe and find it really useful. For example a buried aluminium can will read about 34-38 and appears to be a very shallow target (due to its size). The vibraprobe will detect only about 1 inch deep so if I use it and don't get a response I am pretty sure the target is an Aluminium can (usually deeper than the Quattro suggests).
I am always on the lookout for a better pinpointer as they really speed up recovery and reduce frustration.:cool:

Try the X-1 Probe for the Quattro, they say the X-1 is the best probe ever made, it runs on your own detectors battery, it works with your detectors Target ID or any data it has, when you turn your probe on the detector goes off but when you turn the probe off the detector turns on and returns on the setting and everything you had. AND it has a depth of 3"+

What is actualy is is a 1 inch coil that has a switch to change between the main coil and the 1 inch coil (X1 Probe). This probe will do what the coil will except give you the depth the main coil will. This 1 inch coil or probe as we call it is the best accessory for the Quattro you can buy and most will recommend the X1 probe to get before any other coils.

Rick

Sounds great, but I'm still having a little trouble picturing it. Is it a detachable little coil deal that you stick in the dirt after you've doug the hole. I guess what I mean is, do you pinpoint the target with the big coil and then use the probe to kind of probe around in the dirt for it? I have a little hand held probe but you almost have to touch the target in order for it to go off, so you gotta pretty much know where the target is first. I think you said yours can be 2 or 3 inches away. That sounds good if that's the case. (Sorry I'm so lame on this one) maybe if I saw a picture of it that would help.:(

This sounds awsome. Can they hook it up to the Quatro without voiding the warranty and stuff. This sounds like a heck of a tool that could really make life easier looking for those pesky targets, especially when you have to stand up and search the hole again. Thanks for the website info.

Hello,

I don't know the answer to your question, wondered about that too.

I don't have one, nor have I seen one in-person. I understand they work real well in relic hunting, "inland" coin hunting, etc. when you don't want to dig a big hole in someones yard, etc. It allows for a very small hole required to dig a target. Since I do 99% beach hunting and since the Quattro is so good pin-pointing, I don't feel "the need".

Just thought I would provide the site info since you were interested.

Oh, forgot another question i had ref the "on/off" of Quattro. In the ad it indicates that once you turn-off the probe, the Quattro comes back "on" and is back to settings/etc., that were in use. I understand how that would happen, BUT, once you turn the Quattro "off", then it would seem to me that you would need to re-run Noise Cancel which seems to me would be a pain each time.

There is a switch box on the X-1 with a toggle switch that switches from coil to probe and then back again while the detector is on. You do not have to turn the Quattro or Explorer off to operate the probe. Hope this helps.

Ralph (Sun Ray)

Hello,

Thanks, so it is safe to assume that since the electronics stay "on", and operating mode does not change, one should not have to re-cycle the noise cancel?

Thanks!

(By the way, I love my Sun Ray Pro Headphones! They are comfortable, have "sweet tones" and no amplifier needed for use with the Quattro!)

I noise cancel at the beginning of hunting when switched to coil. I usually don't noise cancel again during the hunt as long as I am not noticing any interference problems, or I have been hunting for quite awhile. Then I might do a noise cancel while I am taking a short break (standing still). If I change locations then I will noise cancel at the new location.

Ralph (Sun Ray)

Ralph I just ordered an Explorer II yesterday w/an X-1 Probe from www.discountdetectors.com , and I'm curious, does the X-1 void the warranty of the detector?

There is 2 ways to get the X1 probe, one is you send in your upper shaft and Ralph at SunRay will add the probe to the upper shaft, so you will be without a detector until it gets back.The second way is to buy the X1 probe mounted on a extra upper shaft that SunRay will sell you along with the X1 probe. Either way the probe has to be mounted by SunRay on the upper shaft.These can be got at SunRay or any of the great dealers that sell the SunRay products.
Now it will have a connector in the shaft for the control box so once you put it on you probably will not have to take it off as the coil wire now will connect to the probe switching box so coil changing will be so easy and fast if you have a extra coil and lower shaft. I have 3 different coils and I know I can switch to any one of them in less than 30 seconds and back detecting.
Now this probe being it is just on the upper shaft will not void your warrenty and if you ever have to send in the Quattro for warrenty and you got the extra shaft when you got your X1 probe you can just put the extra upper shaft back on it when it goes in.
One more thing is when you order a X1 probe they come in a right hand swing or a left hand swing so you have to mention which hand you swing the detector with. The reason is if you are right handed the toggle switch to switch the probe on or off will be on the left hand side so it will be easy to get to when needed. The switching box just switches the input signal from the coil to the probe and when done back to the coil. Very simple set up and it works excellent and once you have used one you may not want to have a detector without one, this could be why Ralph been ask to build them for so many different detectors.

Rick

Ace,

No. Only the modified upper shaft would be voided of warranty if it ever failed (which I have not heard of any failing yet) since we have to drill holes in it. The rest of your detector is not affected as to the warranty. You are always welcome to contact Minelab USA to confirm this if you want to make sure.

Ralph (Sun Ray)