Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Platinum Nuggets?

cabochris

Has anyone used or heard about an Infinium detecting raw platinum placer nuggets? Talking about platinum nuggets, I know very little about them. Obviously they are rare. But are they all tiny, or formed in various sizes like gold nuggets? In that case an Infinium should be able to detect them. CC.

Platinum nuggets must be worth a fortune. I never thought about them before, however you definitely got my interest on this one!

Where are these found? Would they be located in the same gold producing type areas?

I guess some of the other nugget hunters might be able to chime in on this one too :thumbup:

Hi Gang,

I heard years ago that South American native gold panners out in the bush were finding lots of platenum nuggets and throwing them into deep water out of the way. There they were considered for a long time to be worthless!!!

GL&HH Friends,

Cupajo

A bit of platinum trivia. Back during the Gold Rush days platinum was worthless and the miners threw it away. It comes in nugget form like gold and is colored gray. If one could hunt old mining sites or old dredge tailings one might find some platinum. For many years dentures were made of platinum and thousands of lightning rods for homes were made of platinum - so if anyone is in to searching real old homes and buildings don't forget that old ligthning rod on the roof. Could be worth thousands.

Bill

We've got several places in Australia where there are native platinum nuggets. These are ancient deep lead deposits, some elevated which shed into the existing gullies. They can be found, although a lot of research is needed. I've got several of these existing deposits within 10 hours drive. I'll be checking these places out when I can get the chance. The ground is mostly flat so the leads are difficult to find, they have been found, mined, lost and found, and mined, etc. Hope you get some of those suckers!!! HH regards Nugget.:detecting:

I was actually talking to 2 club members last week about nugget hunting for platinum. There is a location only about 2 hours away that it can be found. The only spot in our state that it can be found with any regularity. The river that passes by the end of my street has produced some as well, only 50kms upstream. 2 brothers have successfully recovered 6 nuggets between them. It looks like lead in it's natural state and they said that it gives off a weak silver tone when detected. They also said that you need a VLF machine to detect them with. I have no personal knowledge of the subject, so I can only pass on what I have heard.
Mick Evans.

I know that my Infinium has no problem detecting the platinum rings I have found. Loud and clear. OK, I am now learning and researching about platinum. As you guys say, platinum mainly takes the form of placer nuggets. Sometimes the nuggets are magnetic because of some included iron. But platinum nuggets can also consist of other metals. One metal associated with platinum is alloyed rhodium, at over $9.000.00 an ounce! So platinum seems a rather complex element.

It seems while platinum is rare, it is quite common in some areas in nugget form. But I think the nuggets do not vary in size like gold nuggets do. I guess there are not too many multi-ounce platinum nuggets? If so, then we might be talking about pea size nugget average with some a bit larger, some smaller. That is fine by me. Platinum is heavy and at some 2 Grand an ounce!

With my detectors heavy platinum rings give a gold range tone. But one here said silver tone on platinum nuggets with VLF machine? I wonder if the Infinium would detect pea-sized and up, platinum nuggets with smaller coil? I have not done much prospecting with my Infinium, but would think hunting for platinum nuggets would fall right into the Realm of the Infinium? I ask because I am in the beginning stages of planning an exploratory trip to South America, and prospecting for platinum and gold. I'm sure the ground will be hot, so I question if a VLF detector would be the right choice? The area I have in mind is supposed to be rich in both platinum and gold! With the Infinium one has a great gold machine that can handle tough ground, is water/rain proof, is portable and built like a tank. So for such an adventure the Infinium seems a good tool of choice. I guess I will have to acquire a platinum nugget and perhaps call Garrett to see what they think. I am somewhat excited because the area in South America I am researching, might be our Australia when it comes to riches to be detected! I may be painting too Rosy a picture, but those riches seem virtually untouched and for the taking. CC.

In regards to the use of a VLF, as I haven't hunted for platinum before, I am relating information from others who have. It would make sense if you think about it. PI machines miss the smaller weaker signals, as well as not being very good at hitting gold mixed with other material, where as a VLF will. The fact that these guys (one owns a Lbo) said that it gave off a weak signal, would be a good indicator, that a PI machine will struggle with it. I would suppose that if a nugget is big enough, then you may hear it, but can give no clue as to if that is possible or not.
Sorry that I can't give more accurate information than that, but it is the best that I can do for you.
Something that you may need to factor into hunting in South America. Check out on how civilised the place is before you go. I read about a chap who went to Papua New Guinea, having the the circumstances as yourself. He had heard that there was plenty of gold to be had there, got very excited and went there, planning to spend 6 to 12 months nugget hunting. After he had arrived over there, he realised the danger that he had placed himself in. There is no law and order over there. He realised that if the locals had got wind that he had a metal detector and that it could find gold, then they would have killed him for it without hesitation. He was back in Australia within 3 weeks. When you consider how gold fever affects us even when we have good law and order, then you can imagine how it will effect someone who has nothing and nothing to lose and fear of prosecution. I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't go, just look into it so that you know if you will be safe. My inlaws have travelled to most counties in South America a few times, and found them to be, a very friendly bunch, but that doesn't factor in greed, when it can raise it's ugly head. Think of the Gold fields back in the 1850's and how civilised they were.
Something worth thinking about.
Mick Evans.

Hi all, Just a few of the ores RE: Platinum, Iridium, Osmiridium, Rhodium, Palladium. These are the only ones I know of, however there may be more. I found a Platinum ring and it bellowed out on every unit I tried with it, including the PI Minelab SD2100. It was PT950 which I've been told contains 50 Iridium and the rest pure Platinum. Thanks for looking. HH regards Nugget.

My Fisher Gold Bug hits smaller gold nuggets than my Infinium. So did my Lobo ST. But in hot ground the VLFs are nearly useless! The Lobo did better than the GB. I know the Infinium will find some pretty small nuggets, as will the Minelab PIs. But perhaps platinum is less conductive than gold? Again, I guess I need to get a pea sized platinum nugget. That will tell the whole story.

As a traveling treasure hunter I have lots of experience in foreign countries. Most rules and things you can or can not do are often subject to whomever one is dealing with. The key is to get on the good side of those in authority. Then the world is your oyster. Oh, and never ask if you can do something. Someone will let you know if they want you to stop. Otherwise you'll open a can of worms and might as well go home. Yes there is some risk in foreign countries, but so is driving on the highway here in the US. As is flying and just plain living. I weigh the risk to reward and to pure Adventure. I find what I do is far less risky than most extreme sports! But then again, I would never visit a known hostile country either.

The place I have in mind is known for rich gold placers too. Since I am not interested in tiny gold, my Infinium will be the ticket for that. I may take the VLF GB along, but when traveling in foreign lands weight and space are very limited. 2 Infiniums fit perfect. CC.

Platinum Rings would be a very dull white metal so they are normally coated with Rhodium plating. That also shows much better on most detectors as it gives a gold reading I believe. I may be wrong but the Geologist who told me seemed to know his stuff.

dray