Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

platinum

beachguy777

I got one for you "MIke", "How about a number for platanium"? Seriously, I talked to a girl on my route last night who just got an engagment ring from "future hubby" and I said, "Boy what a beautiful ring, looks like a diamond with a nice silver ring." She said: "No, it's platanium", and I said "Id love to scan it with my metal detector and she gave me a funny look" I'll bet platanium is pretty high on the scale. Anyway, I still want to do what Andy says and go into a jewelry or relics shop and scan some stuff. Might be pretty interesting and informative.
"""

I never found a platinum ring with my Quattro. But based on readings with my Sovereign and what I read about where it comes in on the Explorer, it looks like depending on the size (ladies or mens) it will come in very similar to gold. I would say depending on size, someplace between 10 and 20. Maybe there's somebody that has checked a small, medium, or large sized platinum ring with a Quattro that can be more specific.

Thanks for the return message Mike. You know, maybe you ought to write a book about detecting. I'm serious. You seem to have a great deal of knowledge on the subject plus a lot of experience to boot. I know for one, I'd buy one and I think you have a pretty good fan club out there. Give it some thought, but even if you don't, it's great to hear you're advice on things, keep up the good work. Sincerely, Marc Trainor.

Marc, thanks a lot. I never really thought about it because I've "written enough books" right here on these forums. But I think Andy pretty much has it covered and maybe there's something to be said for staying an amateur because it might get to be too much like "work". But I guess you never know...

Well, I just figured it out, Mike!!! Here's what you do. Hee, hee. You and Andy get together and write the sequel for Mastering the Quatro, and then when you're in one of the book stores signing autographs, you take turns sneeking out the back door and go do a little metal detecting. Sound like a plan. JUST KIDDING, (all except you and Andy writing the sequel) but, you're right, we're getting on the spot info from you and I guess sometimes Andy. Mike you're a humble man, and I can sure appreciate where you're coming from on all of this. I think, either way, it's a win, win cituation for all of us. Thanks again for being so prompt on all the return answers. I know I'm not the only one who appreciates that. Sincerely, Marc Trainor. All I can say is I'm sure glad I turned in my other detector and paid the extra money to get the Quatro. It's so much better in the salt water and mineralization areas. Seems to be very little chatter and stuff. See ya later alligator, as they used to say in the 50's.:)

Platinum usually comes in lower than white gold so usually its quite low as my wifes engagement ring which is White gold comes in about 6 or seven numbers lower than yellow gold on a a 1-100 meter with ring of similiar size..We still get into size and what its mixed with but do expect your average platinum ring to come in the foil region in most cases..Forget about a specific number as I would imagine it could vary from low foil to high nickel..Certainly much more expensive than gold so usually rings are small with good stones..Unfortunately rings of precious metals fall into a large part of any meter. Perhaps someday they will come out with a machine to tell a gold or platinum rings but right now even with expensive equipment you really can't tell as many pieces of junk mimic them..Many experienced detectorists are able to cut down the odds with audio variances, but no specific way to tell 100%...