Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Plowed field Deus program?

Daniel Tn

I was just wondering if anybody had any tips/settings for hunting plowed fields with the Deus. I ran into a situation yesterday with a field that has been worked up where I'm not sure the Deus was running that great. In the States, we have been under a big drought and most of our farm crops have done horrible. Corn is going to be outrageous. This one farm I hunt, the corn didn't get over 5 feet tall and then turned brown. I hadn't been down there in a while and was surprised to see they had already cut it for silage...which meant I had access to hunt the fields that I normally have to wait til much later in the year to hunt.

It was my first time there with the Deus...ran it in GMP program with a few mods. I took the silencer down to -1 and put it in 2 tone, and put the reactivity down to 1 since the fields aren't trashy except for isolated spots. I have been having good success with this in other spots but for some reason it didn't seem to be working that well in the plowed field setting. It's not a fresh plowed field but was worked earlier in the year. It could be that there wasn't anything much in there to find...but what makes me a little worried was the machine was nearly totally silent except for spots where the ground would change and then I would rebalance it. It balanced in the 75-79 range. I would hear some occasional iron signals, but nothing else. I dug one scratchy/broken sounding non iron signal that I suspected might be iron and dug a pull tab about 5 inches deep...which to me, seemed odd that it broke the signal up...running disc at 5.0. It hit it just fine out of the ground though. I dug a few shallow pieces of aluminum cans and such but only came home with one drop Civil War bullet...what got me was I wasn't digging anything deeper than about 4-5 inches..I was going by tone only, and not by visual ID. If it was a smooth repeating signal I was digging it. I got to thinking maybe it needed a different program or setting tweak for plowed disturbed ground. Any thoughts??

Can't help on the settings... I'm learning also.
Have you found targets with your other machine in this field??
Maybe there just wasn't anything to find.
I'll be watching for the pros to answer...

HH

My buddy that was with me dug 4 minie balls and a wheat penny the same evening. But I didn't get to signal check any of them. This field usually produces drop bullets and occasionally a button and a bunch of shotgun shell hulls from dove hunters that hunt the cut corn fields. I didn't dig but a couple shotgun shells this go around....thus the worry about settings for plowed fields. Other places I've had the Deus, I have gotten decent depth. The dirt is relatively the same from site to site...the only difference that I can pinpoint is that the field I struggled in was the only one that is seasonally plowed/tilled. The others are just cow pastures and wooded areas that have either never been plowed or haven't been in the past 20 yrs.

Daniel, I am thinking that its the high mineralization. When there is "soil fluff" the highly energized soil particals react against each other dampening your target signal.
When its tightly compact, it seems to improve the interraction of the magnetic/conductive particals (up to a certain point)
Like a ferrite core performs better as a solid than in a powder state.
Or like 1 lb of solid copper will detect better than 1 lb of pennies.

What you can do with the Deus to combat the problem is up to the experts. I'm just blowing hot air....grin

The program/mods your running is fairly hot. The only way to know for sure your missing anything in those sites is do some sig comps with some of your other units. You can make that program a little hotter by dropping your reac to 0 or -1. Don't forget to try 8 or 12 kHz, and you can also try running your manual gb 10 points lower. With those settIngs disc is pretty much out the window so choose your sites wisely for that.
One other thing you could do run no disc. Reset ur threshold values and reassign iron it's own low tone, say 0-7(or8,9,10) then set the higher values to have their own higher tone. This coupled with what's above will be pretty much as hot as it goes. if your in doubt, do the signal comps, and try different freq settings. Good luck!

Edit. Assuming ur also running sens @ 99

I had to back sensitivity down at this site....running it about 80 to keep it from chattering. I was running freq at the 12 setting too. I'm just thinking out loud on the plowed field part. The field right beside the plowed one is a hay field....same dirt type but it just hasn't been plowed or tilled in about 30 years...vs the corn field that gets plowed once or twice a year. Can get good results on targets in the non plowed field and step over into the worked one and it struggles to pick stuff up. I know some machines have modes and settings just for plowed fields....not sure what they do different internally on the detectors but I know some do have modes/programs specifically for plowed fields.

I run in Deus Fast on ploughed and rolled fields to great effect.

Most finds are in the the top 10 inches in the UK and I expect its that same for you guys.

Deus Fast misses very little and will pick out the really tiny items that some programmes may miss..:thumbup: Jerry.