Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pondering an offer

UKAce400

Hello all . I am a Uk based detectorist who currently uses a Garrett Ace 400, It’s not the latest tech but it does the job.
Have been thinking about some wet sand and Surf detecting and have found an Excalibur 1000 for sale in the UK . No idea how old but it’s recently been overhauled with new seals , new coil and a few other bits . Looking at the photos it’s hard to see what , other than the control box, is not Excalibur 2 branded.
I plan to use this as my ‘salt water detector’ and stick with the Ace for the time being.
The offer price is £450 / $575.
Vendor says this is basically an old Sovereign but with waterproofing so I can use it for field work ( I tend to go by ear rather than VDI) so would complement my Ace.
Is this a smart buy or would I be better served with a modern machine With good waterproofing (Deus 2 or Minelab) ?

Your views greatly appreciated

Deus 2 and Minelab will cost at least double. The Nokta Legend has waterproofing and is just a little more than what you are looking at plus it comes with a warranty and available parts and service. That, in my opinion would be the smart buy. With the mix of frequencies, it can replace the the Ace, too.

Reasonable price for an Excalibur that has been gone over with new O rings and all. Once set up the Excalibur is pretty much turn on and go and they hold up very well. If it is a blue tube one, I've found the threshold to be slightly more stable in that series (which is a plus). If the "new" coil is the thin profile coil that comes with the Excalibur II (the only coil that is being made for it today by Minelab) that coil moves pretty easily through the water. Even better if it is on an after market straight rod. I'd lean towards buying it and if not already on a straight shaft, putting it on a carbon fiber straight shaft.
As Picketwire notes, the Noka Legend is an attractive alternative. What has me leaning away from the Deus 2 (besides price) is the need to charge the coil too and fiddling with the antenna to be able to take it into the water. Excalibur is simple, solid and they just work well in the water.