Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Prospecting coil for my 705?

MyBeesnuss

I've been using the 10'and a half 18.75 coil,
What else can I use to go deeper..?
NEL, COILTEK, MARS, does A brand really matter. I've heard that coiltek is best when used on a Minelab. Please help me out.

NEL, COILTEK, MARS, does A brand really matter. I've heard that coiltek is best when used on a Minelab. Please help me out.
The 15" All-Terrain Coiltek coil will go deeper, but larger coils tend to not be as sensitive to the smaller nuggets as smaller coils are. The key to getting the most out of a large coil is learning to go slow enough to give the machine time it needs to generate and interpret the eddy current response.

they also make a 6 inch round 18.75 KHz coil for the Xterra 705 that works excellent for prospecting, I have one and use it and the 10x6 or 5 when I detect for gold using the 705

What oldkoot said. I had the 6" on my XT 505 and it was great for finding tiny objects. Never had it nuggetshooting but I tested it on some very small flakes in a vial (yes foil was removed from cap) and got a zip at an inch or so from coil. We are talking flakes though, not even close to a picker

If deeper is the objective, then neither the 6" nor the 5X10" will do better than the 10½" that the OP has.
However, the larger coil that sees deeper comes at the cost of missing smaller shallower targets that the 6" and 5X10" would not.

I would add that there's a reason that Minelab sold the Xterra Gold Pack with the 5X10" coil. The 5X10" will run about the same depth as the 6", but it covers more ground in a given period of time.
Where the 6" coil really shines is where there is higher than normal trash density, where it will sort/separate through trash easier without all the nulling that could mask potential targets due to its shorter length heel-to-toe.