Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

pulltab vs nickel and the gold thing.

beachguy777

Again, thankyou everyone for your responses. I love this forum because you're going straight to the horses mouth so to speak. You guys are not only experienced metal detectorists, but you're Quatro owners. That's pretty specific, and I'll check on the tone of the pinpoint mode. Never thought of that, other than, "Oh yea, there it is, lets narrow it down. I never thought of listining to the tone of the pinpoint or look at the height or intensity of the graphic part of the pinpoint. The way I figure it, ANYTHING that comes up MIGHT make a difference. I even read where a guy says: Look at the bars, If they even move a hairs breath, there's something down there. Makes sense. Again, thanks a lot and I hope to confir with you all regularly as much as possible. Let's all go out and find some great stuff. Marc Trainor.

It's not so much the TONE of the pinpoint. It's HOW it pinpoints. Let's say you have a 38 signal. You're thinking it may be a silver quarter. But when you pinpoint it, it's not "coin sized" and despite it's depth, it seems like a very strong signal and you can trace it back and forth over like 6 inches, unlike a REAL quarter at a decent depth, which would only pinpoint a spot an inch or two wide...like it's COIN SIZED and not a crushed up can. One way to find out is to lift the coil a few inches and sweep. If you still have a strong signal, it's not a coin. So...tone, numeric value, how it acts when you pinpoint it. Those criteria, in that order, is what I use and helps me the most.

That's good stuff Mike. I'll work on that too, especially the size thing. I've done that a little, but mainly when it seems huge like a copper pipe or something of that nature. Why not take it down to a can vs a coin type of thing like you're saying. Makes sense. It's easier to do when I use my 5inch coil, but of course I don't always use that coil, mainly in real trashy areas, not the beach. Thanks again, and think about that book idea. I think you'd have some sales before it even hit the press. Marc Trainor