Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Quattro Finds First Silver!!

:jump:

Went to a local park today for about an hour or so. This place has been pounded over the years. Found a 1943 S Silver War Nickel about 4"deep. It read 32 on the meter. I thought they read 16. So I Noise Cancelled, air tested it and YEP it was a 32 on the meter. Dug a few clad dimes then bang! A solid 38 on the meter with a nice high pitch sound at 6"-7" deep. Out pops a 1943 P Washington Quarter. I scratched the back!!!!!!! Anyway, I'm glad I finally found my first silver coins. This is a great machine!

Congrats on the finds...many more to come, I'm sure.

As for the War Nickel, the 32 is entirely appropriate. Think about it. It's SILVER. A regular nickel comes in at 14 to 16 and a quarter is most definitely a solid 38. Now you have a nickel...nearly the size of the quarter...that has a 35% silver content to add to the other 65% nickel content. Which will drastically alter the Quattro "signature" of the nickel UPWARD, closer tp the "38" produced by the 90% silver content quarter. So 32 is about right on. Which is a couple of points under a zinc penny, which I'm sure a few folks have passed up digging a war nickel due to thinking it was trash or a penny because it came up as 32. :)

See link...

http://collector.lifetips.com/cat/56522/all-about-silver/

I was surprised because in Andy's Quattro book he has the War Nickles at 16. I never air tested any before today. It was a nice surprise. However, I like the Quarter much better!!

Mike,

I think it will be a little higher than a reg nickle, but not that much. On the Sovereign a nickle will read 144-145 while a war nickle will read as high as 151 in some case and some are not much higher than a reg nickle. If you found a war nickle with your Explorer you will see they read 7 while a reg nickle will read 5 or 6, so I feel this is odd it would read so high on the Quattro if that is the only coin there is in the hole.
If I had a Quattro here right now would check my war nickles and see.

Rick

Rick, you're absolutely right. I just checked it out. I took out my Explorer II and tested a 1994 nickel and it read 10-05 repeatedly. I then checked a 1943 P War nickel I dug a few years ago and it was consistently 10-07. Next I tested with the Quattro, which read the 1994 at 14 solid. I then swept the '43 over it and it read 15. I was not able to ever get 16 out of it, or 14...just 15. I then broke out my CZ-70. Now this is funny, because I dug the 3 or 4 War nickels that I have with that machine and they all came up bouncing from either nickel to zinc penny or nickel to hi-coin...when they were in the ground, probably due to some halo effect. Today, it read nickel...nickel...nickel and nothing but. Finally, I broke out my Excalibur and swept that. Since it doesn't have a meter, I put on the headphones and swept it. It said "Sweet...sweet....sweet...dig...dig...dig!" :thumbup:

So I learned two things today. One, war nickels are weird. Two, I have too darn many detectors. :lol:

Oh, and three: Never question The Great One...Andy's book was right. Or close enough. I must now agree that Ohio Coinhunter either needs to re-check that hole or (if he was waving the nickel over the coil) take off the ring first. Or maybe there's another possibility. I suppose he may have gotten hold of a War nickel that had an abnormally high silver content in it for some reason. Possible?

Here's the test nickel...

And there was no other targets. No targets like trash near the area. No wedding ring on my finger either, as I always take it off when hunting as I swing right handed and wave plugs and dirt under the coil with my left.

One thing I notice with war nickles, even with the silver content to them they will not all read the same, but they are close in readings. My Sovereign which is very hot on nickles (first year dug more nickles than dimes) I seen where war nickles will read from the normal 144-145 all the way up to 151, but the tones were the same. I dont know if it was the different years or mint marks that made the difference, but know the silver content would make some difference on some, but not all of them.
One of the things that may have made the difference with the Quattro to read this high of a number it it may have seen a pulltab or something right before the nickle, so it was still reading the other item when it seen the nickle as I had seen many times when I had my Quattro. This was the reason I learned whenever you got a good signal you thought was good to raise the coil and let the threshold reset, then go back to just that target and sweep it again to get a correct ID. If it was the same good tone it was good, if it nulled it was a disc out target and if the tone changed that would be the ID of that target. I did some testing with my 2 I had and found that if it went over a quarter, then a nail right next to the quarter before the threshold would reset the nail would also read the same as a quarter as long as the coil was sweeping over it untill I lifted the coil for the Quattro to reset itself. The reason I feel this does this is the recovery is a little slower on the Quattro and the reason it will lock on better to a good target than even a Explorer. Once it sees a non ferrous target it seems to lock on to it untill the thresold will reset and every metal target after it seems to sound the same untill the threshold reset.
What is odd is if I run the coil over the nail first then the quarter it didnt seem to lock on to the nail as the quarter would read after the null of the nail as it should, but if there was another nail after the quarter that nail would read as a quarter. It seems like if it seen a target and the next target was lower conductivity it would read it as the higher conductivity, but if it seen the lower conductivity target first than the higher one the higher one would read over the lower one.
This is why I wonder if there was a pulltab or something it seen that was higher conductivity and ID when it seen the war nickle and gave the same ID on the nickle as the threshold had not reset. If you want to give it a try put a quarter and a nickle about 4 inches apart and get a good lock on on the quarter, then before the threshold returns go over the nickle and it too will probably give the ID of the quarter.
Like I say I feel this is why the Quattro seems to lock on to those deep targets better than even the Explorer does as it sees a non ferrous target and seem to keep it in the meomory of the IC untill the threshold resets itself to clear it and untill then every metal target will sound the same as long as it is a lower conductivity than the first target.
I would have kept my Quattro, but the tones were not adjustable and too high pitched for me and my bad hearing loss as the high pitched almost sounded like a null to me.
My last time out with it I got a 1917 wheatie that was over 12 inches deep in with a lot of nails,but the quatrro would lock right on to it and I used my Uniprobe to find it is why i know of all the nails as all I could get where signal and nails everywhere and almost gave up, but the Quattro gave such a nice signal I kept digging. My hunting buddie with the Explorer XS got a weak one and ask to see if the Quattro could see it, the Quattro gave a great signals and locked right on everytime I let the Quattro reset by lifting the coil,then went back over it again. The guy with the XS was impressed as the Quattro seen it better than his XS. When dug it was a barber dime at 10 inches.
So this is one tip I give others that uses the Quattro is when you think you have a good target to try to get the accual location of the target, then lift the coil off the target so the threshold will reset, then go back over it and get a correct ID of that target, save me digging a lot of trash and more good targets when I had mine.

Rick

Well then the only explanation (assuming that all other numeric ID indications are accurate, which they appear to be) is that you found an exceptionally "hot" war nickel with some extra silver content...almost twice as much, to be exact.

Something I Googled:

Wartime nickel
Those five-cent coins struck during World War II comprised of 35% silver, 9% manganese, and 56% copper. Tradition has been that nickel was needed for the war effort, hence the metallic change. However, recent research has shown that the boost to morale by having an intrinsic-value small denomination coin may have played an important part in the issuance of the Wartime nickel.

Source: http://www.coinace.com/rare-coins-lingo-t.htm

Now this is VERY interesting and I believe this is where we find the answer...the mint was "experimenting" with the silver composition when they first came out:

http://www.worksandwords.com/moneym/warnic.htm

Rick, I'm not sure if this was the case here or not...only Coinhunter could tell us that. I'm assuming he checked it again, out of and away from the ground. He seems to have taken that into consideration. I really feel he may have gotten a war nick with a higher silver content than most. Maybe he can check it again in a different environment.

You're dead on as to the slow recovery of the Quattro. I have done that test you mentioned and it does indeed "carry over", though the tones tell the tale. Takes a little getting used to but I agree that this is also why the thing locks on to a target like a Pit Bull on the mailman's leg.

My Quattro is on it's way to Larry(In) courtesy of UPS as of about an hour ago. Too many machines, too little time. I'm doing a lot of beach now and plan to use the Excal a lot and when I'm not doing that I'm trying to revisit some old land spots for "quickie" hunts as I continue to learn the Explorer II and try new settings with it.

Happy hunting!

15 and 16 on the meter. The one I dug yesterday still reads 32 and even 34. I'm going to clean it up more. Maybe it's one of those trick magic coins with a silver dime inside. Wouldn't that be nice!!:shrug:

This way we can get a collective confirmation on the ID of this coin and rule out any glitches on my machine or any others and see what this damn thing reads. I don't mind having this thing circulate among fellow treasure hunters as long as the last guy mails it back to me, so I can put it back into my collection. Send me an email.

Everyone who gets the nickel must air test it and post the ID reading on their meter and mail it to the next one on the list. This can be fun. Whatta you all say?

Well, I think you pretty much proved the point when you got the readings that you did on the other ones. The fact is that you found a war nickel that instead of having a 35% silver content, apparently has a much higher one.

I agree with you Mike that this nickle has a lot more silver than normal, must be close to all silver with that high of a reading. If the mint was still expermenting with the silver content could be why we see such differnt reading on a war nickle. I thought maybe it was just that mint was using a differnt silver content, but seen the slightly higher readings on most all the mint marks.I wonder how many we may have walked over that may have been reading in the pulltab range?
I would love to see how this nickle will read on other machines other than the Quattro, so if this nickle gets passed around I would like to try it on the MXT, the Sovereign GT, and the Explorer and post the results.

Rick

n/t