Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question about recycling lead...

A

Anonymous

I've been saving my scrap lead, fired modern bullets, sinkers, and tire weights for awhile now. I have about 5 pounds of scrap lead. I'd like to melt it down into ingots of some kind. However, my question is, what should I use as a mold? A thin loaf pan, or something else?
I have a Coleman camp stove that I plan on using to melt the lead, and I'm going to do this outside, so I'm not worried about proper ventilation.
HH from Allen in MI

Many, many years ago a friend and I did this and if I remember correctly he had a butane cooking stove and it would melt lead. We had a natural gas stove and it wouldn't. Had forgotten about this until your post. Have do search and find out why.

We use to use on old cast iron cornbread pan (the ones shaped like an ear of corn). They made nice manageable ingots and great paperweights.

As a kid, used to melt lots of lead. My best mold was Swanson turkey pot pie pans. Also, a cleaned out and dry 16oz can works well. Just peel off the can with pliers after lead cools. Mike