Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question for you Quattro owners.....

George Fatizzi

I've always been a big Minelab fan and finally broke down and bought a used Quatrro to try out. My question is actually directed to Quattro users who have also used the Explorer. Do you feel the Quattro has the raw power to compete with the Explorer for depth and ID capabilities? Does the Explorer just have a few more bells and whistles? Reason I ask is I always felt the biggest advantage for the Explorer, over the Sovereign for instance, was the ability to hunt with no disc (accepting down into the iron range). Other than the obvious features the Explorer does have, seems the Quattro carries over some of the more important aspects such as the noise cancel feature and such. I'm hearing it is slower to respond on a target though. Is this because it is locked into "deep" mode as compared to the Explorer's switchable deep and fast mode? Just wondering. I always felt that I didn't need half of the Explorer's disc programming features anyway so a scaled down version doesn't bother me as long as I can accept down into the iron range. Your thoughts? Thanks, HH George Fatizzi

I have used both and I think that the Quattro is better in all metal than the Explorer once
you get used to the tones. I think the two are more alike than they make it seem. I have heard that the fast and deep are totaly different than the hi and low trash settings on the Quattro
but I am not so shure. They seem to work in a very similar way as far as I can tell.
I think the electronics on the two machines near Identical with a few changes made to
the Quattro that might make it seem a little different. I dont think the Quattro can handle
as much discrim as the Explorer. It seams to become a bit unstable were the explorer seems
to be very stable with max discrim, which could mean that the quattro has a slightly slower
cpu in it than the explorer. Just my two cents from my observations with both machines.
and I find the Quattro is more fun to use. And while not like the Sovereign its as fun to
use as a Sovereign.

George, I think you're pretty much on-target there. Of course you can open the Quattro all the way up if you like and basically hunt in All-Metal while still getting target ID and tones and that's how I liked to hunt with it for the most part. And that eliminates nulls associated with discrimination, like using the Explorer/Explorer II in IM -16. As for your theory on the slower recovery speed (which it DOES have) being due to the Quattro being "locked in DEEP", I never thought of that but it makes sense.

If you read my post further down on the Quattro/Explorer comparison, I DO think the Quattro has raw power...maybe more than the Explorer at the beach, slightly less on land...in my opinion. Both are very capable machines. I had the Quattro and now have the Explorer II. I was successful at sites that other machines "gave up for dead" with both of them. In the end, only you can be the judge if it's right for you. As an experienced Explorer user, I'm not sure how you will like the Quattro. Maybe less, maybe more. How about letting us know?