Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question on a new detector

A

Anonymous

Hello all. Here is a question for you.
Whenever you get a new detector, do you strictly hunt with it the entire day (and possibly weeks on end ) when you first get it, or do you bring your trusty tired and true machine just in case ? I got a new one, without target ID ( 2 of my others are TID machines) and I want to force myself to leave the others home and use the new one and really learn it...even if I continue to dig junk and don't have TID or depth meter. But I always like to have a backup but when I do, I sometimes put the new one down and go back to using the older ones.
Just want some opinions on how others tackle the 'new' machine on the block when they first get it.
Thanks,
JC

JC, I do exactly what you do, I hunt with my new detector for a week or so and I leave my tried and true detector home. As I hunt with the new detector, I wonder what great targets I am missing with the new detector that I would have found with old faithful. I always have at least two detectors and I always justify having more by telling my wife that I need backups in case my best detector breaks. You aren't the only one with these problems! R.L.

Surely takes time to learn a new detector, but tough to leave old faithful at home. You will find switching back and forth may become confusing, but if you don't try the new unit not going to learn it. I personally like to hit an area with two units and after a while you will find one works better is some areas so you will have the choice of two depending on the circumstances.Sort of a catch 22 situation but lets not forget a proficient fisherman has a favorite lure but on some days another will work better. I personally like to use many detectors, but many have a favorite and I know one fellow that has a 92 model and thats all he uses and has made Western and Eastern magazine 10 best finds twice so different strokes for different folks..

Leave the old detector at home. This forces you to learn the new machine quicker. When you are out w/ the new machine just go slower and LEARN the machine.
Good luck.
Jay

Thanks all....it looks like the consensus is what I was leaning toward..leave the old detector home.
Scott, you are correct. Why shell out the money for a new one and only use it occasionally and not learn it to its fullest ablility. At least that way you will find out sooner if you like it or not.
The 3 or 4 times I have used the new one, the old one was with me but I did not use it...I guess I am one of those guys who likes to have a backup ( must be my information technology backround and running huge computer systems for the last 20+ years !).
HH to all
JC