Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

question on pinpointing

pulltabMiner

Is the pinpoint feature of the Deus affected by any settings such as frequency, sensitivity, and recovery speed?

Sensitivity . . . . use the Sensitivity setting in the Pinpoint mode - it is seperate from the search sensitivity setting

The other functions you mention . . . . Frquency or Recovery Speed (Reactivity) . . . . no, do not impact Pinpoint

Ground Balance on the other hand does affect performance in Pinpoint

Hope this helps

Andy

I just received the DEUS today, and got to use it for an hour or so. I have never really used the pin point function on my previous detectors. I also wasn't using it tonight with the DEUS. Is there anything wrong with that? Am I missing something by not using it? I've always been able to find what I'm after by the "wiggle" back or the 90 degree sweep. What do you think?

There are several methods of pinpointing and each works . . a lot depends on the site you are hunting and how accurate the hole needs to be . . . relic hunting in the woods is probably more forgiving than a manicured lawn.

If the "wiggle" works for you then don't worry about the other half a dozen methods

Andy

If you have a method that works and are confident in it, use that method! There are a lot of folks still trying to learn some method of pinpointing with limited success. A tough old rule that is very true is "practice makes perfect". Really difficult to understand ,lo!

On gras or on field I usually take the extra pinpointer (unless the depth is to high for it to catch an target).
On the beach and in the water I use the built in pinpointer almost solely (unless there is a very small item falling through the scoop each time so that I need to find it with fingers).
Best greetings from Germany
Olaf

Thank you Andy. My question was prompted by the following experience:

I decided to dig all extreme deep signals using my regular program. Once I locate a suitable candidate, I pinpoint. I noticed that sometimes, another target is picked up by the pinpoint that my regular program is not picking up. At first I thought that it would be the iron that was set to be discriminated (I set disc at 2) but this is not always the case. I have found small bullet casings and other assorted brass items by digging those signals.

Thus, I surmise that my pinpoint is going deeper than my discrimination program does.

I have compared the gold program and the pinpoint and on every target, the pinpoint seems to give me a stronger signal and even, again, pick up signals that the gold program will not.

So at the end, I thought maybe the pinpoint method was not affected by any other settings affecting my disc programs (and the All Metal gold program at that).

Now, I tried hunting with the pinpoint but it seems to 'time out', meaning, it would give me targets and then go silent. If I go over the area where it went silent after pushing the pinpoint button again, I will often get signals.

I am now exploring using the non-motion, all metal setting to try to find the deepest targets. Is the Non-Motion, all metal, true All Metal?

I will also, explore the Sensitivity settings.

Andy Sabisch said:
Sensitivity . . . . use the Sensitivity setting in the Pinpoint mode - it is seperate from the search sensitivity setting

Andy,

Can you elaborate on this a little bit more.

thanks,
Joe

PryorCreekJoe said:
Andy Sabisch said:

Andy,

Can you elaborate on this a little bit more.

thanks,
Joe

Joe, when you push the pinpoint button, you get a button labeled Mode. push that and you will get into the different pinpoint modes. They have their own Sensitivity setting.

Me, I was hoping that I could reach deeper targets with the All Metal pinpoint mode.