Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question on X-Terra notching...

BuckeyeBrad

Is it's notching system set up more like a Whites system where you're choosing to accept or reject single numeric values (or more), or is it more like the Garretts where you're notching a single segment (or more), each segment representing several successive numeric ID's? In other words, can you set it to reject a single number (or combination of single numbers) ?? If it's more like the Garrett setup, how does one know what range of specific numbers or relative conductivity each block represents? TIA

The X-50 has 18 segments or notches - 3 negative and 15 positive.

The X-30 has 12 segments or notches - 1 negative and 11 positive

The negative values correspond to ferrous targets while the positive correspond to non-ferrous targets.

The segments are mapped to the target ID value displayed on the LCD screen.

The X-50 displays the following:
* -9, -6, -3
* 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 27, 30, 33, 36, 39, 42, 45

The X-30 displays the following:
* 4, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 28, 32, 26, 40, 44

Any one of these numbers can be accepted or rejected. Others have posted examples of what targets correspond to what numbers so I won't repeat them here but it does not take long to learn what are good and not-good numbers to dig.

Does this answer your question?

Andy Sabisch

Thanks Andy and that gives me the 80 for the 20 I was looking for. So when you were testing it, did you notice any typical target that fell "in between" two number segments and predictably bounced between them? Lets say there is a target that would have a signature of 25 or 26. Would it be shown as a "bouncer" of 24 and 27?

No, when the Minelab engineers set up the segments, they "calibrated" them using a whole lot of test targets so the segements are not all uniform but were selected to that targets would be consistent and good targets seperate from trash. For example, nickels register as "12" very consistently even at depth while with very, very few exceptions, I have not found a tab that would read "12".

So as far as a target having a signature of 25 or 36, that can not happen since 25 or 26 is not an option for an ID value. The 24 segment width would encompass those target that fall between where 21 and 27 fall (have I made this totally confusing???).

What most odd-shaped or corroded trash will do is bounce depending on sweep direction which lets you id trash. Good targets will tend to lock on and not jump around.

Did this answer your question?

Andy Sabisch

n/t

I don't quite get the thought behind it. Since the disc scale is not linear how can you set up custom notches ahead of time? I guess you would just have to learn what areas the numbers correspond to by using the accept/reject button on trash targets and go from there. :shrug:

Minelab continues to march to a different drummer.

Tom

No, you can do just that . . . . .all I said was that the segments were not of equal size - but targets are defined and you can distingush one from another based on its ID number

That they can "define" targets all day long, but you and I both know that in the ground all bets are off. If they did get it right (somehow) with the software I hope that they are able to recoop their R&D dollars at the asking price.

Tom

Tom,

Yes, in ground targets do shift depending on ground conditions and moisture content; however, all I was trying to describe is that Minelab set the segments / notches / windows (whatever you want to call the discrimination points) to allow for targets to be distingushed; i.e., tabs and nickels, etc. This is no different than the discrimination system used on the Whites XLT/DFX/MXT, Garrett GTA/ACE/GTP/GTI or Fisher CZ models for years; i.e., turn on or off various segments / notches / windows.

Is the X-50 accurate 100% of the time on all targets in all types of ground? I'd be lying if I said it was but I'd challenge anyone to show me a detector that was. To many variables in the field but each manufacturer tries to bound as many of the variables as possible in the development phase of their projects in order to have consistent performance in as many areas as possible. This was what Minelab's engineers worked to and the proof will be in the reports that users begin to post as far as how well it performs in different parts of the world for different applications.

Andy Sabisch