Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question with Vista Gold Discrimination

Old California

Recently picked up another Vista Gold in great condition with both coils, Had a chance to use it this weekend at an old site for about an hour or two. Was heading back from a day hunt with a good friend and made a quick stop to detect an old site, Did well but with limited time had to end the hunt for the long drive back home.

This time around going to keep the Gold it's a keeper for sure especially for older dig all sites, Have a question on discrimination and curious with the disc and how much discrimination does it have. I ask because mine can disc out a nickel and above maybe between nickel and zinc penny, Don't remember how far my first Vista Gold would disc out low conductive and based from what I've been reading the Gold only disc out iron and small foil? Discriminating above nickel appears to be far above pieces of foil at least it does for me maybe they all do this?

Anyway, I do know the GB will effect discrimination levels the further clock-wise the less discrimination it has so maybe due to my soil were GB falls is the reason for the advanced disc above nickel?

Appreciate any and all comments, Love the Vista glad I've got one again. And Thanks to Keith picked up a nice one to boot!

Paul (Ca)

I do not think my Gold ( your old Gold ) will disc above small foil . You may have one that will work even better in parks .......

Thanks Ray,

That's what I thought seem to remember with my old (yours now) Vista Gold not discriminating as high as this recent one picked up from keith, Wasn't sure because have read somewhere a few times they only disc out small foil and such.

Ok, That's cool this second one is discriminating out targets between nickel and zinc penny. Soon will test different targets between nickel and zinc penny and when the conductive target appears to read as high conductive (high tone) will then scan this same target with a target ID machine see were it falls. That will give me a better feel as how high this particular Vista Gold discriminates.

Been working on an idea, A second disc pot or trimmer pot preset at max discrimination with a toggle switch to check a target getting instant audio ID telling the user if it's a low conductive of high conductive, Not sure just yet if I'm going to stay with the fixed trimmer pot or go with a regular outside pot so i can adjust the discrimination level. The other day when I was using the Vista Gold found myself needing this type of feature instead of advancing the disc pot which is a pain, Depending on were I set the second pot would be sort of a Low conductive/coin check. This will also help ID some iron so it should be an effective feature especially for gold jewelry hunters sort of having a notch as well. Of course this feature will be for parks, soccer fields and such were cherry picking is ok but out at an old site it's dig all signals no discrimination.

I'll let the cat out of the bag, Already working well actually experimenting with different options on this mod and should be completed on my next day off in two weeks if time allows at that time. Still playing with this not sure what the outcome will be but it will at least give me that needed feature.

Thanks again Ray, Appreciate the information was curious to see if other Vista Gold have an advance disc as this particular Vista Gold.

Take care,
Paul (Ca)

Thanks Jimmy,

Appreciate you sharing the disc level with your Vista Gold, For what it has even knocking out small foil is great and it's had to beat this serious relic machine for what it does out in an old side laced with iron digging up all signals above iron range.

From here on out the Gold will be my main machine for serious relic hunting, Great machine!

Thanks again and Happy Holidays,
Paul (Ca)

Easily will disc out a nickle and small 14K women's diamond wedding ring . I am now thinking I may need to try my Gold on some public parks considering how fast it is in the nails with all the depth capability .

Hi Ray,

That is cool yes by all means try it at an old park you just may get a deep high conductive signal with the disc fully advanced, Amazing how sensitivity the Vista Gold is still surprises me each trip out.

Take care Ray!
Paul (Ca)