Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Queswtion for Monte

D&P-OR

Monte------Are you a Makro dealer now---or do you have plans on becoming a Makro dealer in the future?---Thanks------------Del

After my move to Dinkyville ... I mean Arlington with but a handful of people and remote from the masses, I stepped away from dealing all of last year and I am fighting the urge to get back into it. So, for now, No, I am not a Makro Racer Dealer ... or a Nokta Dealer, and I wish there were more.

Anyway, I am meeting my financial advisor for dinner tonight and see if I might change my own mind.

Monte

Hay Monte, what in the world brought you to move to Arlington. That place is really out there. This is the place just off Hwy 84 not far from Durkee, Oregon right? My brother lives just out of Durkee a ways. Matter of fact, he can see the lights of Arlington from his place. I love hunting Baker City Park. Found some great old stuff there. That's where Dell lives also.
Good Hunting Dallas

poorman said:
Hay Monte, what in the world brought you to move to Arlington. That place is really out there. This is the place just off Hwy 84 not far from Durkee, Oregon right?
What brought me here? Memories. I used to get over this way with my granddad, dad and on my own during hunting season ... back when there were pheasants and easy access to land with friendlier people on small farms and ranches with homesteads and the like.

Yes, it is right along I-84 at Exit 137, but not close to Durkee. From here you have to head east about 90 miles then go up over the Blue Mountains to LaGrande, then on over Ladd Canyon to Baker City, then on to the Durkee exit at about mile post 327. So Durkee is about 190 miles away and on up over the mountains, twice.

poorman said:
My brother lives just out of Durkee a ways. Matter of fact, he can see the lights of Arlington from his place.
Wrong place.

poorman said:
I love hunting Baker City Park. Found some great old stuff there. That's where Dell lives also.
Good Hunting Dallas
Yes, good old Baker City Park, a long-time favorite for locals and for travelers for decades now. It can still occasionally produce something old, but what's remaining is very few and far between. Best bet for Baker City and every other older town in the vastness of Eastern Oregon is to keep an eye out for renovation. I lucked on some travelling through BC a few years ago when they had some of the park just dug up that day. The city workers said they didn't mind if I hunted it on after dark, which I did after letting the local PD know what I was doing. I only had about a 3-4 hour delay before I had to move on, but it was well worth my troubles. :detecting:

Monte

Monte: You are right of course. I got my towns mixed up. You know where Lime Oregon is? I was thinking that was Arlington. Lime is up on the hill above Hwy84 just past Durkee. That place is much worse than Arlington. Actually Arlington is a rather nice little town. My brother and I stoped there in the park and had lunch one day while traveling through.I have always wanted to take that drive up the river.
Took your advice and got a 48 pack of Kirkland AA Batteries At Costco. $12.88 Great buy. Dallas

poorman said:
Monte: You are right of course. I got my towns mixed up. You know where Lime Oregon is? I was thinking that was Arlington. Lime is up on the hill above Hwy84 just past Durkee. That place is much worse than Arlington.
Dallas, there are a lot of towns along I-84, but fewer than there used to be because the dams flooded them over. I-84 goes right through Lime, or what is left of Lime. Lime has a few, very few, remaining residences, but the town was replaced by the newer cement plant just after passing Durkee going east. Slow-but-sure, Lime's remains are dwindling, so yes, Lime is much worse than Arlington, and always has been. While small, at least Arlington is alive.

poorman said:
Actually Arlington is a rather nice little town. My brother and I stoped there in the park and had lunch one day while traveling through.I have always wanted to take that drive up the river.
Yes, it is a nice little town, the old original town either under water in the "lake" inlet by the park, or used 60,000 cubic yards of fill upon which the motel, gas stations, grocery store, hardware store and other businesses now sit.

The original town, called Alkali, got its start in 1881 and had a name change in 1885. Before they built the John Day Dam downstream about 25 miles, Arlington was a nice size and flourishing old town. Today we have a population of about 585 to 600. The 'new' town has little to offer in the way of old stuff, unless I can get permission to access the hillsides, but there are several choice old homesteads in this and neighboring counties that could provide some excitement.

poorman said:
Took your advice and got a 48 pack of Kirkland AA Batteries At Costco. $12.88 Great buy.
Great price, very decent performance, and with the fuel efficient Makro and Nokta models that 48 pack will last you a while.

Monte

[attachment 309980 celilo2_sm.jpg]Yes, those Dams built on the Columbia took out a lot of little towns on both sides of the river. I remember back in the 40 s when I was a kid,going by Celilo Falls and watching the Indians fish of their flimsey platforms that looked like they were ready to fall in at any moment.[attachment 309980 celilo2_sm.jpg]