Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Quick Draw II - issues?

scubasteve

My wife and I picked up a Tracker IV last week and hit a couple of playgrounds... found a fair amount of clad. Last night, we decided today was going to be pretty quiet and we had time to drive out to the beach (2 hours each way) and try beach hunting. Impressed with the Tracker IV, we decided to pick up a Quick Draw II and see how the two compared (and return one).

The Quick Draw II was utterly worthless! On the beach, with nothing around, it would mysteriously start beeping... even while laying coil-up in the sand. It doesn't detect well at all, especially compared to the Tracker IV. I easily found 15 or 20 rusted nails and screws in the sand (the trip was a bust) with the Tracker IV and about 60% of the time the QD II wouldn't alert in the same spot!

I've tried every combination of settings on the QuickDraw II and can't believe this detector costs so much more than the Tracker IV and works so poorly.

Also, the Quick Draw II seems to have a very long delay between passing over an object and making the tone. I'm wondering if it's due to the extra signal analysis (depth and classification)?

So unimpressed with the performance of the QD II, I began to wonder if the (new) batteries were bad. I swapped batteries between the detectors with no difference in performance on either. Now that I think about it, I should have looked at the coils to see if they were interchangeable.

In wet sand (salt water, not rain) neither detector could detect a "test" penny 1" in the sand. Is saltwater sensitivity supposed to be this poor? It seems both detectors constantly alerted falses in wet sand, especially if the coil made contact.

We also noticed the Quick Draw II, when it does actually detect an item, doesn't do so repeatedly. I can put a test penny down into the soil at home and pass over it ten times, each time in exactly the same motion and speed. It might alert three out of those 10 passes. The Tracker IV alerts every time without fail.

Since we're still learning the detectors, we typically have them set in "all metal" mode with sensitivity between the mid-point and full.

Is this a bad detector, or is the Quick Draw II just a poor performer?

TIA!

Steve

Coil wire wasn't loose... we checked several times. I'll take it back and get another one and see if it's any better.

Hi Steve, I have a QDII, and have been pleased with it. I've found lots of coins and a couple of rings with it, all on the beach. It's not that great in the saltwater soaked sand, you really have to set back the sensitivity knob to stop most of the false signals. I have no problem with it in the dry sand, have found lots of deep coins. This is my first detector though, so I have nothing to compare it to. If I were you I'd try another one before ruling this detector out. Hope this helps.
HH,Dave

I like my QD II. I just sold a Garrett GTAx 500 and kept my QD II and Cibola.

The QD II is much more stable than the 500. It locks onto coins, and I found a nice ring with it.

At two different sites I went back over the same areas that I had just hunted with the garrett and both times I got more and better stuff.

The Cibola is a great relic and all around detector. The QD II is a great coin shooter.

That's my two cents,

david in AR