Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Quick Headphone Build

Sven

A while back we were discussing headphone shells.
I bought a number of hearing aid protector headsets made by Bilsom Leightning, the non-folding type because I wanted to see how comfortable they would be.
Settled on the Bilson model L1 at a cost of $8.57. These are the same identical headsets used by Chefphones of the UK to make their CP2 SuperLights ($87.00).
This is going to be a fast project, making a headset for the most part my water PI or as back up for my land headphones. Mind you these are not waterproof,
but, cheap enough that I will take the gamble they won't get dropped into the water.

Speakers are 600ohm Kobitones $11.00 pair
Cermet Linear taper Potentiometers $4.00 pair
Headphone jack $1.00
Misc. had on hand

First off the earmuff were taken off as well as the earmuff snap on holders, which I noticed do have a very thin clear o-ring to help make them seal better.
Grabbed a sheet of craft sewing cross-stitch plastic mesh. Cut out two earmuff speaker grills and glued them in place.

Then drilled the holes for the volume control pots, the earphone cord jack, and two holes for the cross-over wires. I used special drill bits made for drilling plastics.
A rubber grommet was inserted into each cross-over wire holes. The headband was pulled away from the end caps and the cross-over wires were fed thru.
Some shrink wrap was put over top the wires, then fed thru the grommet holes and cable tied in place.
A dab of glue was put over the cable tie to anchor it to the headphone shell.

At this point wires were soldered to the volume control pots and a resistor was put in line to reduce volume overall.

On the volume control pots, an o-ring was pushed onto the shafts and then the control knobs.

Positioned the speakers in place on the foam inserts, pushed the wires thru the foam and glued the speaker magnet onto the foam.

Soldered the remaining wires. Placed the foam inserts with speakers back into the shells. Attached the headphone to detector cord, plugged
the headphones into the detector, everything works as planned. Then pressed the earmuff holders in place.

Foam earmuffs were snapped into the holders.

They are now ready to go. Pretty nice for a quick, inexpensive build.
The headphone cord used was a mono guitar patch cord, one end was rewired as stereo. This way a Mono/stereo toggle switch was not needed
on the headphones, you just swap cord ends depending upon type of detectors speaker layout.