Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Quick test of the new Racer

Southwind

Of course the guy shows up in the brown truck and it starts raining. Well not wanting to call it I decided to give a quick first impressions post and video.

Everything was boxed great with the exception of no hardware (coil bolt & washers). Luckily I had a Minelab extra kit for my E-Trac which does work although the washers seemed smaller than what should be there. Anyone know where I can order a coil hardware kit for the Racer? I was a little bummed but was determine to do some testing. Took all of 10 minutes to put together and I was ready. I figured I go run out to my test garden for a quick test on my hardest two targets. My yard is the poster child for iron infestation. Below is a picture of the iron I collected with a magnet after nothing more than digging the quarters hole 8" and running it through the dirt I pulled out of the hole. By the way this test garden is 6 years old so this quarter & dime are not freshly buried. My entire yard is this way. I'm thinking at one point the house had nailed on shingle siding.

my-iron.jpg

Anyway, needless to say it is a challenge for any detector to get even marginal depth. I did misspeak on the video as I said only my E-Trac could hit the quarter when my Deus does as well. In fact the E-Trac and the Deus hit the Quarter the same and both would not hit the dime. My first impression was WOW. The Racer with the default start up setting hit both the quarter and the dime easily. As I said this was just a quick test but I was very impressed with the results. I can't wait to take it to my sites to see what happens there. A bit early to call it a killer detector but it sure seem to have the right stuff. Of course the real test will be in the field. I will get out tomorrow and get some live videos of those pre-marked possible good targets and the carnival ground that has dried up for all other machines.

Again, I'd really like to have the proper washer & bolts for my coil if someone knows where I can order them it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7Z4Ve-Rgeo[/video]

Call your dealer and let them do the leg work for your coil bolt and nut. It appears you have already seen a little of what the Racer can do. Bravo. The fun has just begun. And more WOW moments are ahead. You see, I wouldn't bsing anyone, I've been seeing similar performance for a few months. So much so, I just had to try and let folks know what was coming.

I can't wait for ya to get to the fairgrounds with the small coil............ You're just beginning to see what some of us have seen already. You can hear that iron in the video around and in the holes.

That is the worst dirt you can find with bits of rusted Iron in it and black magnetite really impressive that it got both that says slot for the racer

This is pretty funny. It seems to me you (SouthW) were describing yourself as getting "testy" over the glowing reviews of the Racer a few weeks back. Now here you are getting your Racer before I get mine (pre-ordered) and you're getting in on all the fun. This isn't fair. :cheers:

Excellent video since we get to hear all of the iron and the coins in between.

Southwind, I thought I seen an earlier post somewhere that you cancelled your Racer order ?? anyhow, glad ya changed your mind. Seems to be a pretty good machine. I sure was impressed when I got to play with the one Monte has. LOL I wonder what is going to happen when a Racer, 2 coil package, at retail $849 starts to give the machines in the $1500 + price range a run for their money. Thanks for the video and look forward to some future videos and what your opinion of the machine will be after getting to use it for a bit.

Southwind said:
Anyway, needless to say it is a challenge for any detector to get even marginal depth. I did misspeak on the video as I said only my E-Trac could hit the quarter when my Deus does as well. In fact the E-Trac and the Deus hit the Quarter the same and both would not hit the dime.

All right, what settings and coils did you use to test the 6" dime with the Xp deus and is there a video about the test with the Xp deus?

Here is a video I did ahile back on the same two targets with the AT Pro with stock & 5x8 coils, the E-Trac with the 13" Ultimate & EQ2 6" coils, and the Deus with the 9" coil. The Deus was basaclly in Deus Fast with only the tones changed to my liking's to use in tot lots.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLsu815DbGc[/video]

As I said these are simply my first impressions and tests. The real test will be in the live. First in the city park where I have several possible good deep targets already marked and several other sites that has refused to give up any goods for a long time. What I am saying is what I have seen so far is impressive.

Just for the record. The only bad thing about making videos using detectors with a lot of features is people will always suggest you had the settings wrong on their choice of machines. Of course this is possible, but take in to account the Deus, E-Trac and AT Pro were custom adjusted to my conditions. The Racer was simply turned on and ground balanced. It hit both signals in both 2 & 3 tones. Of course there is a bigg difference between running a detector over the location of a known coin and using it in the wild. For example, while many detectors can get the depth of the E-Trac once a coin is found, the strength of the E-Trac is the ability to alert the user in the wild when a coin is below the coil. That test is yet to come for the Racer.

What these tests so far have proved to me is the Racer has the potential to do what the hype says it can. The real test will be when I take it to the field.

As far as canceling my first order and then reordering, I had some medical bills pop up unexpectedly and I started to think I was just falling for some well orchestrated salesman. After more checking, and selling a few other machines, I made the decision to buy one from a dealer. At that point I felt it was worth taking the chance. I did order my coil from the Distributor.

I think you'll find your new toy will first be able to find the loot with a faster coil sweep vs etrac. Now in the super trashy areas and areas with boatloads of iron, yes you will have to slow down. Trust me, your detector with small coil can outrun your own brain's ability to process data. In the areas mentioned above you will get many targets/tones at times with extremely small distances of coil movement. You'l notice more real time reporting vs a lot of other detectors you've used. This ID mask setting. Hunting in the extreme areas of nails/iron/trash, sure you can raise your ID mask setting up to knock out some or all of the iron tones coming in, but this comes with a price. You'll notice your tone while over nonferrous starts to become shorter and even clipped depending on how high you set the ID mask. At ID mask 10 this nonferrous tone is more elongated. Depth with a higher ID mask setting starts to trend down too. You'll notice targets that more exposed will hit fast and hard. You'll have no doubt to stop and investigate. You are going to notice a steadier TID while over coins, a steadier TID than you are probably used when using some of your past detectors. Again your fun has just started. Would like to see you include your AT Pro in many of your future in the field comparisons, Deus too and yes the Etrac. I also realized doing head to head is time consuming and cuts into your detecting time. Videos too when done right are also time consuming and are difficult at times to do and get all the angles in folks want to see. So all this head to head and video, I fully appreciate. I look forward to seeing more.

Just got an email from Detector Electronics with shipping confirmation for my coil hardware. These people are #1 in service.

Nice little video, Southwind, thanks. Comparing the new Racer against a known "standard" like the E-trac is really useful. It gives us a down and dirty quick idea of the speed and depth of the Racer. (The Racer audio reminds me of Fisher units, btw, especially my Gold Bug Pro). It seems from the video that the Racer was a bit deeper on the 8' dime test, but the E-trac had better ID on the 8" quarter. Did I see that correctly? Could it be that the Racer is actually a little deeper than the E-trac? Please keep us updated on your further tests.

Glad you go it in good shape and good to hear they are getting you your parts. I cant wait to hear how it goes out in the field.