Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Raced @ a "hunted out" stage stop and got OLD SILVER

Cal_Cobra

Hunted a site yesterday afternoon that was originally an 1840's adobe, and was later expanded to service two stage routes, from the 1850's to 1860's the Butterfield Overland Stage between San Francisco & Los Angeles, and later the Bixby Overland Stage line.

I ended up getting an 1867 seated half dime. I wish I could say it was 8" deep and covered with rusty square nails, but it wasn't, it was only a few inches deep, oh and the best part....it rang in at 82! Also picked up an old Victorian screw-back earring in the shape over a clover leaf, marked STERLING. Other then that nothing too exciting, although I found it interesting that it was nailing these small little lead piston balls(?)

For 90% of the hunt I used the 5" coil on the Racer to see how it did in iron. Unlike my site I detected last weekend that was a sea of nails with many on the surface and overloads galore, overloads were few and far between at this site. Actually at a "normal" site void of surface debris I'm finding the overload is actually helpful, as I can quickly discern a shallow target. Iron wasn't super thick at this site, if I hunt it again I'll use the 11" DD with the gain cranked up as I suspect there are probably deeper targets, as the lantern part I dug with the 5" coil was a good 8-9" deep (sounds deep for a 5" coil, but it's a pretty big target).

Later I met up with a friend who's learning his Xterra, and we did some target checking at another site, but it was already dark so I was testing out the backlight on the Racer. Even at the lowest setting of 1, it's bright, almost too bright IMHO, BUT at least it can be switched off. Initially with the backlight set to on, it would only come on when hitting a target. Then I inadvertently pulled the trigger and thought I hit the up button to enable the flashlight, but hit another button(s) apparently. No idea exactly what button sequence I pushed, BUT it made the backlight stay on constantly, vs only coming on when hitting a target. I think I'd prefer this operation, does anyone have any idea what sequence of trigger/red arrow buttons to use to engage this feature ?? :)

Seated half dime after it was dug:

1867SeatedHalfDime.jpg

Cleaned up:
1867SeatedHalfDime-f.jpg

All the targets dug:
IMG_2960.jpg

Sterling silver Victorian earring, also does anyone know what fired those small lead balls next to the seated half dime?
IMG_2962.jpg

Dug this two piece Navy button at another site, the back mark just says "SUPERIOR QUALITY" any idea on the date?:

IMG_2965.jpg

IMG_2967.jpg

Thanks for looking and happy hunting,
Brian

thats an amazing site

Up arrow for one light, down arrow for the other
(while pulling the trigger).

Pull the trigger and press the 'Up' arrow to turn the Flashlight On or Off.

Pull the trigger and press the 'Down' arrow to turn the Display backlight On or Off.

Remember, you can adjust the intensity of the backlighted display.

In one month I'll be working some Utah and Nevada ghost towns and, if we get more warming summer-like weather, I plan on doing more night-hunting. Glad the Racer has these options. :thumbup:

Monte

Thanks for the info on the backlight, nice to see they thought of these options.

I didn't feel the iron was all that thick at this site, the next time I go there, I'm going to use the 11" DD and drill down for the deeper targets. A friend recently got a 2cent piece there that was a deeper signal, and the lantern part I got was deep, so I'm sure there's some deep coins hiding out there that the 11" DD with some high gain will find :detecting: