Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Racer gets GOLD and SILVER coins :hot:

Cal_Cobra

I'm not typically into planted hunts that much, but the Southern California detector club "The West Coasters" sponsor a three day competition hunt with the opportunity to get gold and silver coins, prizes and cash, with the grand finale beeing the gold coin hunt. It's a good time as a few of us from Northern California head down and camp at the site, play cards in the evening over a bottle, or two of good wine and cigars, and swap stories. Always fun to hang out with old friends, and make a few new ones as well.

I've gone the two years prior to this and each time I've made it to the grand finales "gold field" in the where there are a few tokens planted to get you a gold coin, but have come up empty handed. This year I made it to the gold field and mission accomplished, walked off the hunt field with the gold coin token :detecting:

Also ended up with $40 cash, a prize pack, about $100 in clad, 38 silver dimes, a private minted $5 Indian gold coin stuck in silver, a Walker silver half, and two one ounce silver rounds, not a bad weekend.

WestCoasters2015.jpg

Now I need to find a gold coin in the wild....I'm tired of watching my buddies fine one only ten feet away from me :goodnight:

Ohmygosh Cal! Freaking awesome buddy! Which coil and settings did you do your amazing findings?

Also, how much is the gold worth? So freaking cool man!

Bubba

Nice! I have never been to a planted hunt but just recently joined the local club and am thinking about going to their next hunt.
How did you set up your Racer for the hunt? I was thinking about turning the gain way down and jacking up the filter to 50 since nothing will be deep.
I need to work on my recovery methods because I never use a screwdriver which is required. The few times I have used one I just end up making a bigger mess than if I use my knife digger.
Anyway you have a real nice haul there. Good job!

I ran 3-tones, tracking on, gain @ 39, and left the disc @ the default of 10. Some planted hunts will actually use steel tokens, so I like to keep the disc low and besides it's easy to tell surface targets. All the coins were 1" or less, and the overload actually came in handy.

I need to play around with the position of the arm cuff, as I've always felt the Racer was comfortable when hunting old sites, but when racing around like a mad man, it wasn't as comfortable as it could be (hand grip position). If they make the next machine with a pistol grip it'll be way more comfortable IMHO.

Cal_Cobra said:
I need to play around with the position of the arm cuff, as I've always felt the Racer was comfortable when hunting old sites, but when racing around like a mad man, it wasn't as comfortable as it could be (hand grip position). If they make the next machine with a pistol grip it'll be way more comfortable IMHO.

I agree. That's my only complaint about the Racer. I just can't get comfortable with the grip.

Thanks for the settings. I could set up 2 tone and 3 tone completely different so I can switch between modes if I feel the need.
That's another great feature.

Bryan V said:
Cal_Cobra said:

I agree. That's my only complaint about the Racer. I just can't get comfortable with the grip.

Thanks for the settings. I could set up 2 tone and 3 tone completely different so I can switch between modes if I feel the need.
That's another great feature.

Yep and I was a bit concerened about getting blown out with crosstalk from other machines (been there, done that with my F75 before), and that wasn't an issue (go figure, there were probably 150 other detectors out on the hunt fields). The few times I did get crosstalk chatter I just switched to a different frequency and it was quite.

One thing that's great about this machine is that it's so fast and just locks onto coins. Even on my F75, there are times I feel it's missing coins, but not with the Racer, if it's coil gets over a coin, you're going to hear it loud and clear! Excellent competition detector!

If I could either move faster, or they made a big foot type of coil for it, it would be a super killer competition detector :detecting:

I was wondering if they allow Bigfoot or Clean sweep coiled detectors at these hunts? I heard some don't? Thanks.

Harold said:
I was wondering if they allow Bigfoot or Clean sweep coiled detectors at these hunts? I heard some don't? Thanks.

The club I used to be in banned them, they actually said no coils larger then 12". I think that's fair, because you cannot get the 18" big foot style coils for most machines, BUT I see mostly the old timers using these now days. I think if you have a fast machine that can easily ID coins, and YOU are also fast, then you can out hunt someone with a big foot coil.

Of course luck has a lot to do with these hunts, but if you go to enough of them, you'll see that some people always do better then everone else.

n/t