Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

racer question

Low-Boy/LCPM

There is two tone and three tone the three tone is now going to be hotter does that mean it will trump the two tone?

From what I've read, no. What it was was people complained about the depth lost in 3 tone, so they made it hotter to reduce the amount of lost depth.

Low-Boy/LCPM said:
There is two tone and three tone the three tone is now going to be hotter does that mean it will trump the two tone?
No, not rerally.

The choice of using 2-Tone or 3-Tone really isn't about 'depth' because each mode has a variable gain control. It does mean the 3-Tone will provide a little hotter performance or just a bit more depth, if needed, but ....

The selection of 2-Tone Vs 3-Tone is really more a matter of personal opinion of which audio responses you might prefer, and also a matter of how you like the performance ability for lower-target sites Vs densely littered sites. I just got home late last night from two days at a ghost town. I used both the 2-Tone and 3-Tone search mode, selecting the 2-Tone in the sections that were close to clean, for some reason, and had very few targets.

MY personal preference is to USUALLY hunt the trashier sections with ample iron using the 3-Tone mode and an ID Filter setting of '23' to just knock out most iron nails and some other lower-responsive iron. When an area seemed a bit barren of targets, I quickly switched to the 2-Tone mode with an ID Filter setting of '10' so I could hear almost everything, including iron. The nice thing about both the FORS CoRe and Racer are that they each provide the option of two search codes to complement each other, with independent settings, which allows the operator to change whenever they wanted to benefit from either the 2-Tone or 3-Tone mode behavior.

Monte

Hi Lowboy,,I don't usually comment to much here but the Racer three tone mode will still not trump the two tone mode in depth....According to what I have read ,the depth is also maxed out with a sensitivity setting before 70,only the modulated audio changes with a higher setting....The new changes however will change this and make it more progressive in regards to the sensitivity settings but it will still not have as much depth as the two tone mode.....Hopes this helps......JJ

Monte said:
Low-Boy/LCPM said:
...The nice thing about both the FORS CoRe and Racer are that they each provide the option of two search codes to complement each other, with independent settings, which allows the operator to change whenever they wanted to benefit from either the 2-Tone or 3-Tone mode behavior.

Monte

Monte I know the Racer doesn't save the settings in memory when the machine is turned off, but are you saying that when you switch between 2-tone and 3-tone, each mode keeps its own settings, like for example a disc of 0 on 2-tone, and a disc of 30 on 3-tone?

BTW Looking forward to a report of your ghost town trip :thumbup:

Thanks,
Brian

Cal_Cobra said:
Monte I know the Racer doesn't save the settings in memory when the machine is turned off, but are you saying that when you switch between 2-tone and 3-tone, each mode keeps its own settings, like for example a disc of 0 on 2-tone, and a disc of 30 on 3-tone?
Brian,

True, the Racer doesn't have the memory retention once it is turned 'Off,' however I am referring to being able to turn the detector 'On,' adjust thje search settings desired for each or any mode, and then start hunting. While the detector is on, and during a search, you can change from one mode to another and another, and all the settings you selected, at start-up, are retained for each search mode.

Yes, once you take a break or take a nap and turn the Racer 'Off,' then the temporary settings are erased and at 'turn On' the Racer is at the default settings again, but I can quickly adjust the Gain and ID Filter [size=small](Discrimination)[/size] of the 2-Tone and 3-Tone search modes in about 15 to 20 seconds so it's really no big deal.

Cal_Cobra said:
BTW Looking forward to a report of your ghost town trip :thumbup:
Coming this evening with an impressive "on the brink of 'LO' small target response." I'll post it later today.

Monte

Monte I probably didin't position my question very well. I was thinking after reading your initial post that the settings made in one tone option mode wouldn't carry to the next, but would be independant. Like in 2-tone mode you could have the sensitivity set to 99, 0 disc, and then switch to 3-tone and set the sensitivity to 70 and the disc to 30, and then if you switched back to 2-tone, it would retain the settings previously made in 2-tone before changing them in 3-tone mode (sensitivity to 99, 0 disc).

That doesn't sound like the case, it sounds like the sensitivity and disc settings are carried over into each tone mode, and everything of course is reset at poweroff/on.

OK, let's see all those ghost town silvers!!!

HH,
Brian

Cal_Cobra said:
Monte I probably didin't position my question very well. I was thinking after reading your initial post that the settings made in one tone option mode wouldn't carry to the next, but would be independant. Like in 2-tone mode you could have the sensitivity set to 99, 0 disc, and then switch to 3-tone and set the sensitivity to 70 and the disc to 30, and then if you switched back to 2-tone, it would retain the settings previously made in 2-tone before changing them in 3-tone mode (sensitivity to 99, 0 disc).

Monte said:
A refresh of what I posted: True, the Racer doesn't have the memory retention once it is turned 'Off,' however I am referring to being able to turn the detector 'On,' adjust the search settings desired for each or any mode, and then start hunting. While the detector is on, and during a search, you can change from one mode to another and another, and all the settings you selected, at start-up, are retained for each search mode.

Yes, once you take a break or take a nap and turn the Racer 'Off,' then the temporary settings are erased and at 'turn On' the Racer is at the default settings again, but I can quickly adjust the Gain and ID Filter (Discrimination) of the 2-Tone and 3-Tone search modes in about 15 to 20 seconds so it's really no big deal.

That doesn't sound like the case, it sounds like the sensitivity and disc settings are carried over into each tone mode, and everything of course is reset at poweroff/on.
I related to the "savable memory" that the Nokta FORS CoRe has and the Racer doesn't, and that will let the user make any adjustment to each mode as desired and they are retained during AND AFTER the search when the detector is turned 'Off.'

With the Racer, as I stated in my 2nd paragraph, it only takes me about 15 to 20 seconds to make the adjustments I want for each of the search modes, 2-Tone and 3-Tone, or any other search mode, and you can start searching. As long as the Racer is still 'On' and operating, the search modes have their own settings, even after you have changed them, and it is very quick to change from one mode to another. No, you don't have to make a change to any adjustment function once you have set them, just change the search mode.

An example of the settings I most often use on my Racer, such as the Wed. & Thur. at the ghost town site.

All Metal mode: Gain to '90'

2-Tone mode: Gain to '85', ID Filter is left at the default setting of '10' because I want to hear almost anything in a spare-target area.

3-Tone mode: Gain to '85' and ID Filter to '23' because I like this mode for trashier conditions, and a setting of '23' will Discriminate most common iron nails and some other iron, but not all iron.

Then I just search away and can change back-and-forth between the 2-Tone & 3-Tone modes as they are ready for me.

Now, some might ask why I don't use a higher Gain setting? Simple answer is, I don't need it. Matter of fact, that is the simple answer why I don't increase it more, and I have it up because most of the area is trashy. At times, the trash gets very dense and I very quickly reduce the Gain to somewhere in the '30' to '50' range.

Monte