Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Random woods hunting....

nor10

Does anyone ever have any luck hunting in random wooded areas? Just got my Deus a few weeks ago and my places to hunt are diminishing. All the local parks are banning metal detecting, even one i have had great success for the past 2 years.

There are those guys who have great luck in some wooded areas. If they are heavily used and have been for a long time they are great. Research is still the key. Those areas along major waterways on hill tops are still good. Hopefully you can find a map of your area from pre-1900 that might guide you into better situations. Maybe try to be a positive force with the parks folks and see if you might work out some compromise. Sometimes registration, permits, or a good track record can reopen closed spaces. I have said that what we do probably will be illegal in all places in the next 50 years. I hope to enjoy it till they tell me I can't. Good luck and let us know if you need any email support.

Don
HH

I had a very long talk with the gentleman who asked me leave the one park i have had great success at. He even admitted to me that i appear to be a very responsible person. Apparently they have had many others who were not even close to being a responsible hobbyist. I may have to hit some lesserr known places is why i asked about wooded areas. Thanks for the support though.

Just cause it's wooded now, doesn't mean it was 100 years ago. Look for signs of activity, old litter, rock piles, tree stumps, etc. I doubt you will find anyplace where nobody has been before.
I found an old homesite, the only visible sign of usage was a rock pile.

Yeah research is definately in my near future. I have trouble walking by this $2000 machine knowing that i dont have many places to use it. Was considering selling it already if nothing changes or if my research becomes futile.

I live in Pa. About 2 miles from the Maryland line and about 20 miles from Gettysburg.

Thanks,
Tim

I would say look for stone rows in the woods. That indicates it was once a cleared field at one time AND they have openings to every section to get to it to farm it. Each opening is a pinch-point so to speak and every person who entered the field passed through it. We have a lot of them here in NE PA. Good luck!

Hey nor10, I put in a request for you to LabradorBob. He is on the mapping page and this guy is sharp on mapping and finding info. I am sure he will provide some info for you soon. Good luck. :thumbup: