Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Re: Olive oil....RIGHT !

A

Anonymous

Was told several times over the years that to clean copper coins, wash with soap and water and then give them a good soaking in olive oil. Well, I've had several nice indian heads soaking in oil since 5/1/2001. As of today, they look about the same as when I put 'em the oil. Course no one advised me to give them a decade or two to clean up! Answer, anyone, on how to SAFELY clean copper coins, large cents, indian heads, etc. Thanks much.</FONT>

Electrolysis done right will give you better results on copper coins than any other method without the damage caused by chemical or mechanical means. Done wrong it can remove detail or pit your coin. Do a web search using keywords electrolysis and coin. You will find several sets of instructions. An old 9 volt AC/DC adapter from some no longer used electronic equipment makes a great power source. It is hard to tell someone how long to put current to a coin because there are so many variables such as voltage and amperage used, condition of the coin, temperature of the water, type and amount of electrolyte used, distance from coin to electrode, etc. So practice first with nonvaluable copper coins(not zinc). A mild acid such as vinegar, lemon juice, or weak muriatic acid is a lot easier and OK for low value coins, but you can always tell the coin was artificially cleaned. Electrolysis is a lot more trouble, but done correctly, a high value coin can come clean without looking cleaned. Don't try to get the coin completely clean with electrolysis. The process moves the outer shell of electrons from your coin into the electrolyte solution and in the process turns the caked on gunk into mud that can be mostly removed with a very soft toothbrush and plain water. HB

HB,
Thanks for the input. I have tried electrolysis several times and, as you suggested, most likely overdid it. I ended up with a few small round sponges! It sucked everything out of the coins and left them badly pitted. Tried it on several wheaties and thankffully only on one or two Indian heads. I'll attempt it again...much more carefrlly this time.
RonnieB