Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Re: RE: What coil???

A

Anonymous

I really never needed a 5 inch coil on my Sovereigns as i found the 8 inch coinsearch or the SunRay 8 inch would do good in the trash I get into. Now on my Explorer i find i use a 5 inch coil many times and does well. I think if you were to get a 5 inch coil for the GT I would go with the SunRay 5 inch as I know they are good and built well compared to the Excellerator. It is very rare to hear of a SunRay coil that is bad, but hear a lot of storys on the fourms on the Excellerator that have to be sent back.
I too have a MXT my wife uses more and like you found it to be much better than the XLT. Maybe it is just me, but I know I got more depth with the MXT and so much easier to use. It is my favorite Whites of any I have used in my 32 years of detecting.
I have the Sovereign and the Explorer to use myself and find I can do better with the Sovereign as the tones are easier for me to hear with my bad hearing, but as you see on the fourms the Explorer is a great detector in the right hands. Both do have a learning curve with the Explorer the steepest of the 2, but if you do any gold hunting than the GT will do better as it is set to run in all metal with "Accu-Trak" that you can lock.
Now as far as meter on the Sovereigns most find the 180 meter works the best, but it too will still change numbers a bit too as you go over the target and the best lock on will be when you can do the Sovereign wiggle right over only the target you are trying to ID. When it gets that sweet tone of a good coin that meter will stay right at 180 and may go down to 179. Now if it is deep and the signal is weak then those numbers may change quite a bit as the tones will be too as it will be reading what the tones are. In this case I have seen the numbers may be 160 or so, but by wiggleing the coil just right they will hit the 180 range to let you know you have a good signal. What I am saying is the meter is as accurate as what the tones will be, if the tones are changing the meter is too, so you try to get the tones to stay as high as possible and constant and the meter number will be too.
The GT comes with a 10 inch coil,but this may be too big for many areas and I find if you can find a 8 inch Coinsearch coil or a 8 inch SunRay coil you should be able to work many trashy areas, but if it is solid trash then maybe you do need a 5 inch coil.
You will have to go slow to with this detector as it sees so much more and give you a signal on everything it sees. If you go too fast you will not hear the good ones in with trash or the deeper ones.
If you get a new GT, read the book, try it a bit and then ask some questions as we have a great bunch here to help you.
Rick