Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Re The Ultimate Place to coin shoot

Ron from Michigan

Staff member
From Michigan I went to Roanoke Virginia for a visit.I forgot my camera so a cheap $30.00 digital that I bought on the way was used.I hope these photos give you an idea of this amazing complex.My photos of the main building old resort didn't come out.I took route 311 from White Sulphur Springs.This old abandon site a resort surrounded by old mansions, fallen buildings,foundations and acres of huge old trees is south of Crows Virginia in the middle of nowhere.

on a map after the last time you posted about this site and all I could find was some kind of hospital facility. I don't even know if it was the same place you were talking about. Sounds interesting. I live about 4 hrs drive from there. Might be worth checking out. Email me if you want to discuss it further. rdcottrill@netzero.net

Dave

I have driven thru that town many times on my way to Va. beach and it looks like a super place to coin shoot.There is also a large field area right outside o' town headin' north towards 70.

No, that's about a 4-5 hr trip from me. I'm in northcentral WV.

I think this is it. It also seems to be unaccessable.

http://www.westvirginiaghosthunters.com/sweetsprings.html

I didn't Know the place was haunted.It does have that Harper's Ferry look,which according to one of the shows on the History channel is the most haunted town in the United States. Ron

Would bet its not virgin as these types are usually beat if the landowners grants permission..Beware some historical sites are off limits and looking at the site it may be just that..good luck in your ventures...

Its sure a nice site.I think the two guys that bought it from West Virginia will use it as investment proporty. The bricks on the buildings are disentergrating.One can hope and only wish ,but the owner's probably wouldn't let the site be searched. The property wasn't posted and I did walk the land getting those pictures.I searched a tree by the road only for about twenty minutes and found a mercury dime.I talked to a local about the place and he said its been abandon for years.But the owners are living in a section of the main building.The man I talked to also said farm property was cheap in this area a 80 acre farm fenced pastures nice barn and house went for $400000.00.I did ask if he thought this place would ever be up for sell and how much did he think it would sell?.His answer scratching his head was a lot.I did look to see if a car was parked by the building to talk to a owner,but didn't see any. Well anyway I thanked him and continued my trip to Roanoke.At this time I'm considering retiring and buying another horsefarm this area may be worth checking into. Ron

This is just a heads-up on the exact location of Sweet Springs complex.If you're looking at a West Virginia map find roue 311 by White Sulphur Springs.Now looking at route 311 it runs into Virginia and back into WVA. The road looks like a line running through a cursor that points right that is the exact location. Ron

This Thursday my wife and I will be driving through this area to look for horse farm property.I'll bring a good camera and try to talk with the owner to find out more information about the Sweet Springs complex. Ron

A month later follow up:My wife and I drove through Sweet Springs to look at a horse farms in Appomattox Virginia.The farm we were interested in buying is about 3 to 4 miles from the Court House were General Lee surrendered.While looking at the farm a rain storm came and we waited in the barn for the rain to stop.I was taking pictures of the farm and had shots still left on the digital of the Sweet Springs Complex.The Realtor and I were looking at the pictures and he said he always wanted a detector.He asked if I searched for relics? I told him mostly coins in parks.The Realtor told me and my wife an interesting story.He told me the guy next door to the farm cleared some vines that were growing shaped like a teppee.For years everyone just walked by these vines.When the vines were cleared it exposed Confederate rifles that were there since the Civil War.After looking at the farm the Realtor wanted me to go back to the office in Appomattox and help him buy a metal detector on Ebay. Even though I'm partial to Fisher's we found a great deal on a Garrett Ace 250.I told the Realtor about this forum web site and he did give me a funny look when I said say hi to Uncle Willy. Heres a couple of photos. Ron

Hi Dave: Very beautiful place! Talk about a time warp, huh?
Why did you go to VA? Combo business and pleasure, or did you go specifically for treasure? Just wondering. Have you found any buried treasure there yet? Kevin in Ipswich, Mass.

Kevin, My parents retired and moved from Michigan to the Roanoke Virginia area.I found this place by accident by trying to take a short cut.I was considering retirement and was looking at a horsefarm in Appomattox so I took Route 311 to just take a couple more of photos as I passed through.Decided not to retire @ General Motors or sell our Michigan Barnanza Farm. Ron

Hi Ron: What about having that mansion for your retirement home? :)
What a blast from the past, huh? I presume you have not had a chance to hunt there yet? Kevin in Ipswich, Mass.

Kevin,I hear it's haunted.It kind of reminds me of the resort hotel in the movie The Shining with Jack Nickleson. Ron

Hi Ron: Funny you should write that! When I first saw your photos of the place, that's the first thing that came to my mind. I was going to shoot you a quick note, "Watch out for ghosts" but then I changed my mind 'cause I figured you might think I was being too wierd.
Anyways, it sure looks it, I'll say that much! Is this a Civil war site or something? Kevin in Ipswich, Mass.

Kevin, Dave the WVA DirtDigger did a little research and found a web site WVA Ghost Hunters the photos are great on this site.If you go to Dave's thread on this post and click on WVA Ghost Hunters web it will anwser a lot of questions about the Sweet Springs Resort.I wanted to do a little WVA coinshooting,but deadlines with Realtors and getting back to work didn't permit any search time.I was going to get with Dave another Fisher CZ user and hunt a site or two on the way through to Roanoke.

I2fun4U, I think you're right it would make a great place to coin shoot.There are probably places just as good right in our back yards. Sorry I'm kidding my self even Clive Cussler would drive 10 hours to search that place. Ron