Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Reading about the X-terra..Question

FrankMD

Hello all. The X-Terra sounds very impressive to me (going by reading posts here).

Anyone here have any experience with the Troy X5? I know that it is an excellent relic machine and was thinking of finding a used one. But how would the X-Terra compare to the X5 for Civil War relics? Also considering once the 18.75kHz coil is available, the X-Terra should be extra hot on small brass items.

Thanks
HH

Hi HH,

This question has been covered in detail on other threads. Try doing a search on "X5" on this forum to round up the discussions.

Steve Herschbach

Hi steve. I really like reading your posts on this and other forums. I have already read up on the X5 and I used to own one. Since I have never touched an X-Terra I was hoping I could hear some thoughts from someone who has used both for relic hunting.

HH
Frank

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your kind comment.

I personally believe the X-Terra 50 is not going to have anyone giving up their $1000 detectors, whether they be Minelab Explorers, White's DFX, or Troy X5 units.

Many of the people who have used or own these units may like the X-Terra 50 as a second machine for more casual use, but basically I think it is a bit unfair to go pitting a $600 machine against $1000 plus units. It is far more applicable to compare the X-Terra 50 against other machines in its price range.

I do worry about this a bit because that is what I am seeing here on this forum. Some kind of expectation and comparisons against the very best machines. I do think for the price the X-Terra 50 fares favorably against such high pedigree competition, but in the end it is setting the bar a bit high for a machine that retails for half the price and that was never intended to replace the high end units.

I'm no relic hunting/Troy X5 expert so I'll pass on the direct comparison, but I suspect I can guess the basic answer. I betting you'll not ditch you X5 for an X-Terra. But you still might enjoy using the X-Terra 50 nonetheless.

Steve Herschbach

Excellent Complimentary Machines! :D

They are not in the same class, nor was the X-Terra 50 meant to challenge higher-end models with a lot more manual control and/or features.

But the X-Terra 50 IS a very serious-use detector, to be sure.

It will find its way into relic hunting fields a good deal in the near future, I am certain. I am "Out West" so I don't have the pleasure of working Civil War sites. However, I do get to hunt ghost towns and homesteads and pioneer and military encampments that predate the Civil War as well as have activity since that time.

I have moved a few detectors into our furnace room (storage room) because they are not going to see much use. Matter of fact, I'll probably thin them out over the next few months.

But I always have at least 3, and sometimes 4, detectors that I keep 'at-the-ready' and generally on the back seat of my rig. They have been chosen because they work. Because they are comfortable to use. Because they provide ample performance and a good margin of flexibility for a variety of sites.

The X-Terra 50 is one of those in my detector battery, and it didn't take long to make the decision to move a model out and let it take it's place! My suggestion is this: Watch for a great deal on a Shadow X5 to get one back in your hands, since you know how good they are, and also get a new Minelab X-Terra 50. They compliment each other very well and provide you with a number of choices to fit the situation you're going to be hunting in.

Monte

Thanks Monte. I appreciate your posts as well as Steve H and many others here. You are very good writer too Monte.

I am on the west coast right now but am from Maryland. I have a number of great places to relic hunt in MD and VA. Through a new job I just landed, I'll be traveling a lot and will get back to some of my secret sites again (found a VA state seal buckle at one of them). Anyway, soon I'll get a used X5 and sounds like the X-Terra would compliment the X5 Greatly.

HH
Frank