Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Rechargable battery pack for my ELITE!

A

Anonymous

NY is starting to thaw and I'm blowing through double "AA" batteries quick. Doese anyone know where I can buy the factory rechargable battery pack without having to buy the whole "ProPack". Does SunRay make one?
Thanks, Gene

SunRay dont make the rechargable battery for the Elite, but I see Minelab does with the retail of $67.95, but you will need to use their charger, the wall charger is $12 while the car charger is $45.30. This is why the pro Pack is a great deal over buying them seperate.
Rick

I presume that you have a 'battery pack' into which you snap your alkalines (I have one of those for my 'Sovereign XS').
Radio Shack sells a AA battery charger which will charge NiCads and NiMh batteries. It comes with four AA NiMh batteries and costs about $25.00.
So you could buy one of those and a spare set of NiCad or NiMh batteries and you would have two sets of rechargeable batteries all for the same money or less than you can buy the official Minelab battery pack.
You'd have to snap the batteries in like you do the alkalines but how hard is that?

You need 10 of the nicads to get the 12 volts needed to run the Elite. The factory pack I beleive has 10 AAA batteries in it to give it the 12 volts needed and why they are only 1000 Mha. 8 will not work in the Elite as there will be only 9.6 volts, might work for a short time, but wont be long before the low battery alert will sound.
8 will work in the Explorer pack as that is what they use, but on the Sovereign it needs 10 to get the 12 volts needed to work the Sovereigns.
Rick

I didn't know the Elite uses ten batteries!
Wow.
My 'Sovereign XS' uses eight AA's so I just figured the Elite was the same.
I use eight NiCads in the snap in battery pack and it works fine.

I agree with Rick(ND).
Go with the Rechargeable Nimh pack. Over the long haul, you will save much more then the cost of Alkalines. If you can afford it, buy one AC charger and two Nimh battery packs. Use one pack in your Elite, and carry one for back-up. Keep them both topped off and you'll never be stuck without power. You can recharge at any time.
Good Luck and Good Hunting
fod:)

If you have the factory one or the SunRay pack there is 10 of them in their packs.
This has been discussed over the last 8 years on this fourm about those that try to use 8 rechargeable in their alkiline packs.Many we find that are having a problem with their Sovereign is because they put in rechargeables in their alkiline packs. Some say it will work for a few hours, some will work for about 15 minnutes and some you will get the low battery alert right away. One guy even said he was able to use his for 6 hours if I remember right,but in any case this is not enough voltage to run the Sovereigns, so dont expect to get the max performance and possible problem with the detector running only 9.6 volts instead of the 12 volts it is designed for.
Rick

They are rated at 1.5 volts. They won't last as long as a AA NIMH battery cell does, but they might be cost effective over buying set after set of disposable alkalines. Also, the rechargeable Alkalines will retain their charge when not in use, for much, much longer than the NIMH's do. - Bill

Thanks,
I use the eight pack when my stock, rechargable pack runs low.
Sounds like I'll be better off with another ten pack. I don't want to miss any goodies by having my machine under-powered.

I would just run the reg alkaline pack with the alkalines in them as a spare when the rechargeables goes dead to finish off the day. Then when you get home recharge the rechargeables and put back in the detector.
Another idea I do is when I know I have over 5 hours on my pack and know I will be out all day i will recharge the pack the nite before so I know I will be good all day.
Rick