Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Recommendation for headphone for Garrett Ace 250 please?

carlenglish

Can someone recommend a headphone for use with a Garrett Ace 250. I wear a hearing aid and need a little help over what I'm able to get from the onboard speaker. They all seem to cost about the same (between $40 to $ 90) so it's not about the money. I just want to do it right the first time.

Headphones come in several different styles. You have the big ones that completely encircle the ears, and can either seal out exterior noise or let it in, depending on the shell. There are smaller headphones which sit on top of the ears, and usually have foam pads that will not seal out exterior noise. You also have the small earbud types, which sit just in front of the opening to the ear canal, and will let in some exterior noise. Lastly, you have the plug type that fit inside the ear canal itself, and will seal out exterior noise (the last two probably wouldn't be a good choice for someone w/hearing aids). There are headphones made specifically for metal detectors and have their own built-in volume control, but you can use a set of regular music headphones as well.

Perhaps you can tell the readers what type or size you prefer -- it would help to narrow down the field quite a bit. Also, in case you have a detector that does not have a volume control, and you end up with a regular headphone that does not have it's own volume control, you can get an in-line volume control at Radio Shack for under ten bucks.

hth,
Phil

So many choices !!!

I live in SE Texas (Houston area) and boy does it get hot during the summer. I like the idea of completely covering the ear but am a little concerned about heat build-up. What I hear is it really is a matter of personal choice over technological differences. Thanks for taking time to respond.

Whatever you get, don't spend a lot. The Ace has three tones, period. There is no need for the sophisticated headphones that are of benefit when you're listening for subtle variations in sound with something like an Explorer, for example. We use a $15 pair with volume control on our Ace and they work very well.

HH
Relic