Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Rejecting small nails help?

The Relichunter

Hi All,

Got my new XP Deus from Bart (Thank you Bart) last week. I took it out for the first time to do do some relic hunting yesterday. All in all, it was a very, very successful day considering the site I hunted has seen hundreds of detectors over the past 40 or more years. I was actually quite surprised by how much stuff I did find considering this was the first time out with the machine and the area had been hunted so hard. That is a real credit to the capabilities of the machine.

First, I am very new to this particular machine as it is a bit different than those I have previously used. I know it will take me some quite a bit of time to learn exactly what the machine is telling me. FWIW, I usually don't bother with displays to identify the target. In fact, I put the Deus remote control in my pocket only using it to change sensitivity between 80 and 85 as the minerals in the ground required to minimize false signals. I do know enough that too much sensitivity leads to far fewer finds and the XP Deus has more than all of the sensitivity I need for my particular type of hunting.

I read the manual several times over and set it up for what I thought would suit me. The sheer number of finds, musket balls, grapeshot, jews harp, melted lead, etc. (including a small button about 1/2 the size of a dime at 6" or so deep) in a worked out area convinced me I am on the right track. BTW, this was a F&I war camp site dating to 1755.

All in all, the XP Deus is going to be one heck of a machine for me compared to the many others I have used in 40+ years of detecting. Just the light weight of the unit made swinging it for 5 hours effortless (at least on the arms, can't say the same for the ankles over the rocky grounds:) Sensitivity is far beyond what I had imagined. I didn't dig a single "I wonder if that's a target" since everything came in loud and clear and ground noise was easy to pick out because it didn't repeat at a second or different angle of sweep.

Since I do hunt iron as well as non ferrous metals, I have to pretty much accept all iron and run with an iron volume of 5. The problems occur with small nails or bits of wire. I can usually pick them out by the double beep. But it would be nice to reject them and null out the sound. On my CTX 3030, I found that small nails can be ignored by setting a discrimination area in the high FE content and mid to high CO range. That way any iron objects such as a flintlock hammer, or even a simple round iron grape shot would give a "good" signal. On all of my other machines I have used, I pretty much rely solely on target tone. Those machines range from the F75, Whites Spectra, Minelab SD2200d, and many, many more:)

Yesterday, I was detecting in what was for all purposes "all metal" mode. I found near a dozen pieces of iron grapeshot. I checked them on the conductivity scale and they came in at a solid 1. Obviously using the factory programmed "relic mode" would have put a null tone to these items with iron volume set to zero.

Just curious if anyone has ever notched out small nails and wire with any success.

I have around 40 years of detecting experience starting with the old TR and BFO type detectors and have literally over a ton of iron and relics from the F&I through Revolutionary Wars. (Canon and Mortar shells are heavy:)

However the Deus is quite new to me and I am wondering if the notching of small nails and bits of wire would work. Again, I can pretty much tell by the double beep in one direction of sweep and single beep at a 45 degree angle sweep. But, anything someone can add from their experience is invaluable to me.

Gosh, I sure do love that Deus. It made a convert out of me in a single day:)

Try running a disc of around 3. Works for me. And large iron relics will still ring in. You won't be sacrificing much depth either.