Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ringing ears and my 4 picks for my detector

A

Anonymous

I have narrowed my detector picks down to price range and quality as well as peoples opinion. So I want to ask you folks this final question of my picks and give you my situation. I have tinitus (ringing ears)it is mildly loud, I live in Florida and will hunt this soil (dry) for coins, (gave up on water and beach hunting because no machine in my price range seemed to do both well). With those things in mind, my final choices are GTP 1350, sovereign, fisher cz-3d, fisher 1270, Well folks, what do you think of my choices vs my situation, Thanks for your thoughts and any hints with the ringing ears.
Sincerely
Donny

I used to hunt on the Florida Gulf Coast beaches, Destin/Ft. Walton, with a Sovereign and CZ 6a every year when on vacation there and both were excellent in the wet sand and shallow water. No need to do anything with the Sovereign, could go from dry sand into the water with no problem at all. CZ required re-ground balancing when hitting the wet sand and water. Depth was comparable in wet sand, CZ had a big edge in dry sand.
JB

The forums for minelab are for Explorer, Sovereign, and Excalibur, but nothing about the Musketeer, is this not popular, I have thought hard about a detector that had no ID feature and that way could consentrate on audio only, plus it is basic and I will be purchasing my first detector, is that a wrong direction? I know I ask a lot, please excuse me as selecting the right detector means trudging through a lot of unknowns.
Thanks again.

Don
The Minelab Advantage is probably the best performing detector out there in that price range, (under $400.). It rivals the most expensive units in depth.
As your a new detectorest it’s a good idea to start out with a unit without the ID feature. Doing so will give you the edge up on learning how to detect.
All to much emphasis is put on target ID detector’s. They definitely not the cats meow. The ID is not the most accurate on any of the units. It’s an additional tool to aid the detectorest, after finding, and ID’ing the target with the audio first.
I have used a Minelab Advantage quite a bit in previous hunts, finding it very good in discrimination, target separation, and depth. Go check one out at your local Minelab dealer.
Mr. Bill
Minelab Advantage dealer, user.

Don,
I have both a Sovereign Elite and a Musketeer Advantage. The Musketeer is great unit and very simple to operate. If I had to choose between the two I'd go with my Sovereign however.
I haven't been detecting for a lot of years and am not able to get out as much as I like. The Elite more helpful to me in two ways. First it has a variable tone so I can tell obvious differences between targets. Secondly the target ID helps me somewhat since I don't have enough experience to do close discrimination on tone only.
Mr. Bill made a good point about not using the target ID as a crutch. I try to depend more on the tone but as a beginner I really like having the target ID backup on the Sovereign.
To be fair the Sovereign is about another 50% more money than the Advantage. Either way I don't think you can go wrong. I'm very happy with both.

Thanks very much, I did not know the Musketeer had a single tone, I think multy tone will be very important for someone like me. Again thanks very much to all.
Don