Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Rock of some sort

...a kind of flint. Looks like it has been tooled. Indian artifact?

That's the way it is. It looks rusty too, like it has a heavy iron content, but I'm pretty sure it's not a meteorite.

I remember reading about the "fusion crust" on meteorites, and about high metallic content... Is your rock magnetic? Anyway, I dug up this link, maybe it will help...
>>>When a meteorite falls through the Earth's atmosphere a very thin layer on the outer surface melts. This thin crust is called a fusion crust. It is often black and looks like an eggshell coating the rock as shown in this picture of the Camel Donga meteorite, a eucrite from Australia. The fusion crust can also appear brown on meteorites which were not recovered directly after they fell due to terrestrial weathering.<<<
Below is a link for identifying meteorites. Some of these are worth more than their weight in gold.

It doesn't look quite like chert, or at least the types I am familiar with. It doesn't look like an Indian Artifact. Are you sure it isn't a fossil of some sort as in actually fossilized eggshell? Does the part other than the glossy shell leave dust residue when touched? Maybe something called 'Puddingstone'? Where was it found and how big is it?
Chuck

It's about the size of a softball and quite heavy. It doesn't leave any residue on your hands. It was found near a lake in Saskatchewan Canada.