Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Schoolhouse On Wrong Side Of The Road

miserman

Today I drove to the site of a one-room schoolhouse that an 1877 map showed on the southwest side of the road. With the owners name in hand I stopped at his farm house to ask for permission to hunt. He was somewhat surprised that the old map showed it to be on his property. He informed me that it was actually located across the road and to the North, and also directed me the the owner of this other property. After driving to the house of the owner and being given permission ,I returned to site wandering if it had ever been hunted because of being mapped incorrectly. As soon as I stepped into the field I noticed that there was broken glass in every direction but no pieces of brick to guide me to the schoolhouse "ground zero". It soon became apparent that the long gone schoolhouse was a wooden structure and not brick because of the large amount of nail type targets that caused the F75 to sound off in a machine gun array of hits. I switched from All Metal to a Disc setting of "0" and set it to 2F Tones in DE Process. All the loud nail hits then became more workable low pitched buzzes. While enduring the constant buzzing, I listened for any high pitched hits that came in at 25 or above. After a short time my ears became accustomed to hunting this way and the diggable targets became easier to pick out.. The Indian Heads and early Wheats gave readings of 45-57 unless they were close to the surface and then they gave loud 60-68 readings. This field seemed to have more buttons than usual and the flat buttons were giving readings in the low 40's. I feel that the Mercury may have been a farmer drop because it didn't fit the time frame of the other coins I did a lot of digging in the 8 hour hunt and many relics were found. It looks like this field has never been hunted because of the large number of targets that were found today.....thanks for looking

Attachments

• C2A113CD-B6A6-456D-B557-D55794D42A44.jpeg
    C2A113CD-B6A6-456D-B557-D55794D42A44.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 159
  • F14D465B-6C50-468F-A019-A3D4637790F3.jpeg
    F14D465B-6C50-468F-A019-A3D4637790F3.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 158
  • 8FDB664C-A38E-4C26-91B2-A32FB0B6F233.jpeg
    8FDB664C-A38E-4C26-91B2-A32FB0B6F233.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 150
  • A874E4A6-5702-48E3-A431-E6CAC762B316.jpeg
    A874E4A6-5702-48E3-A431-E6CAC762B316.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 150
  • 72FB5C2E-E207-4F81-A88F-E4060E1711A8.jpeg
    72FB5C2E-E207-4F81-A88F-E4060E1711A8.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 157
  • 8DC081E7-4F5F-4B36-B811-A191D1BFFE00_1_201_a.jpeg
    8DC081E7-4F5F-4B36-B811-A191D1BFFE00_1_201_a.jpeg
    340.9 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Miserman,
How deep were the IH and wheats? Ive never had 40s reading on pennies but then again those I have found were only 5-6” down. I’m finding running disc at 6 takes all the forged iron chunks out. If I run 1 tone it forces me to watch the screen and concentrate on anything 6 or higher. (I have one heavy mens gold wedding ring that hits 10 in this mode but low nickel in all other tones, no idea why). Those are some really nice artifacts there.

Today I drove to the site of a one-room schoolhouse that an 1877 map showed on the southwest side of the road. With the owners name in hand I stopped at his farm house to ask for permission to hunt. He was somewhat surprised that the old map showed it to be on his property. He informed me that it was actually located across the road and to the North, and also directed me the the owner of this other property. After driving to the house of the owner and being given permission ,I returned to site wandering if it had ever been hunted because of being mapped incorrectly. As soon as I stepped into the field I noticed that there was broken glass in every direction but no pieces of brick to guide me to the schoolhouse "ground zero". It soon became apparent that the long gone schoolhouse was a wooden structure and not brick because of the large amount of nail type targets that caused the F75 to sound off in a machine gun array of hits. I switched from All Metal to a Disc setting of "0" and set it to 2F Tones in DE Process. All the loud nail hits then became more workable low pitched buzzes. While enduring the constant buzzing, I listened for any high pitched hits that came in at 25 or above. After a short time my ears became accustomed to hunting this way and the diggable targets became easier to pick out.. The Indian Heads and early Wheats gave readings of 45-57 unless they were close to the surface and then they gave loud 60-68 readings. This field seemed to have more buttons than usual and the flat buttons were giving readings in the low 40's. I feel that the Mercury may have been a farmer drop because it didn't fit the time frame of the other coins I did a lot of digging in the 8 hour hunt and many relics were found. It looks like this field has never been hunted because of the large number of targets that were found today.....thanks for looking
Congrats on your endurance to locate where the old school house used to be & for all the various nice finds--no mistaken you found the right place! Ma

Congratulations
Nice work finding it.
Incredible finds.
Virgin ground is the Best !!!
Wondering how many kids buried treasures are there. Tones will be weird on those.

The Indians and wheats were anywhere from about 5 inches to near the surface. One of the Indians gave a double 68 hit and I could seen an edge sticking out of the dirt before I dug it. I have found that the deeper green Indian Heads that also have fertilizer induced "patina" usually give the 40-50 range readings. A small signal with low-medium volume in the mid 40's to upper 50's really gets my attention. Thanks for responding.
Miserman,
How deep were the IH and wheats? Ive never had 40s reading on pennies but then again those I have found were only 5-6” down. I’m finding running disc at 6 takes all the forged iron chunks out. If I run 1 tone it forces me to watch the screen and concentrate on anything 6 or higher. (I have one heavy mens gold wedding ring that hits 10 in this mode but low nickel in all other tones, no idea why). Those are some really nice artifacts there.

Last edited:
I am not finding very much silver in the old schoolhouse field sites. I don't think the kids had much reason to carry more than a few pennies and maybe a nickel or two. They didn't have to bring lunch money because they always carried their lunch to school. I feel this is the reason many of these sites have lots of broken glass pieces that were part of a carried in plate or jar.
That research is paying off in spades, I agree you've literally hit pay dirt, fantastic day of detecting.
I'm surprised you haven't found any seated coins in your last couple of new permission sites?