Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

SD,GP,GPX comparison question

I am looking at getting a minelabe PI detector. My brother has a gold mine that needs to be detected. I am wondering how small of gold the older minelab SD,GP series detectors will pickup. How do they compare to the newer GPX detectors. I am having trouble spending the money even to get an older one and wonder how good they are. I was looking at a Garrett Infinium but I have heard that even the oldest Minelab PIs are better than anything else. Any help would be nice. thanks.

Hi i live in Australia and have used all minelab pi detectors except for 2200. They all will find gold the gpx series are a big improvement on the sd and gp detectors.The 4500 and 5000 are worth the money .Friend of mine detect full time they only use 5000.You have to look at how much prospecting you in tend to do if its a lot spend the money,older detector do not turn up as many pieces of gold when i am out with the prospecting club.If you are not finding gold no matter how small its easy to get disheartened

I would consider using a Gold Bug 2 for detecting a mine, it can find very tiny gold in quartz veins which other detectors cannot see, 1/4 grain size, and for comparison one grain is tiny. If your not a detectorist it will take some learning to use the gb2, but well worth the learning.

Hi Mac,
You asked about a comparison of Minelab models, there is ample information about their differences in various fourm postings.
You can search this and other forums, using the Minelab model numbers you are interested in... ( like SD 2200 ...)
Used SDs start around $1,300 , and new GPXs are around $5,000...
The newer machines have improved operating features compaired to the older ones...
But.. not everyone absolutely needs all of those advanced features...

"Detecting a gold mine" can mean a lot of different things... Hardrock or placer , dry washes or tailings piles , prospecting or production ...

Not knowing any more than you have mentioned... I am not sure that a Minelab would be my first choice... Especially if you have no experience in using Minelabs..

I would recommend finding detector dealer near you and let him give you suggestions...

Good luck with it !

Hi my friend.
For my work, less than 5 gram is not important. more depth is very important. What model of Minelab is deeper? SD or GP?
Thanks

Dear clachase2700
Are you a Minelab repairman?
I am very happy for Getting to know you.
I need to your help.
Which minelab detector is deepest? Why?
I love working with you too.
Warm Regards

Ironbark sums it up well. Which goes deeper though, that's hard. GPX's on small stuff up to about 1/4 oz. But above a few g's the GPX's increase is hard to hear to the untrained ear, but it is there. They will match the others on big stuff, though some big stuff because of shape the 22 will get better, to do with the windows. But considering the 22 is years old and most areas have seen 22's go over them the gold they were good at getting is pretty scarce now. There have been plenty of good big finds made with 5000's don't worry about that. But yeah, iron bark sums it up.