Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

SE Pro Pinpoint Mode Depth Meter?

5900_XL-1

Brand new Minelab user here. I'm getting erroneous depth reading on the depth meter in pinpoint. Testing in my coin garden on 5" buried quarter, and then surface coins.

I get decent depth readings in discrimination on my 5" quarter, Pinpoint mode?...sometimes especially right after power up. I walk several feet to surface coins, get the depth meter showing surface readings, but pinpoint mode indicates 9-10 inches.Am I doing something wrong or is this used SE defective?

BTW, I an go back to the 5" quarter and get disc depth meter accuracy again, but the pinpoint mode then shows 9-10 inches.

The hottest part of whatever coil you're using has got to be DIRECTLY over the target for depth to be somewhat truthful. Surrounding targets,soil conditions,high GAIN settings and coins on the surface or close to the surface will ALL skew your depth reading. Wiggling the coil backwards toward you over the target til it stops making a sound will have the target directly in front of the tip of the coil. A bit different,coming from the concentric you've used but with a bit of fiddling you'll take to it like a beaver to bark. Your Explorer is just fine.

IDXMonster said:
The hottest part of whatever coil you're using has got to be DIRECTLY over the target for depth to be somewhat truthful. Surrounding targets,soil conditions,high GAIN settings and coins on the surface or close to the surface will ALL skew your depth reading. Wiggling the coil backwards toward you over the target til it stops making a sound will have the target directly in front of the tip of the coil. A bit different,coming from the concentric you've used but with a bit of fiddling you'll take to it like a beaver to bark. Your Explorer is just fine.

Wiggling the coil til it stops still won't trigger a depth change in pinpoint. Only disc gives me a depth. I have to assume that ALL Explorers fail depth response during pinpoint if mine is "just fine." Honestly, pinpoint has never functioned during PP in the month I've ran my Explorer. It stays stuck on what the disc reading read no matter what. I can live with it as long as I understand that this is how all Explorers apparently work.

My whites machine would read disc depth and then PP depth. If it's a big target or a tiny target, the readings would vary in PP, and I found that feature usefull.

The wiggle during PP does a great job zeroing in on the precise location. I like that.

Sorry,didn't read hard enough...the SE is supposed to give depth reading in Pinpoint,where I went wrong was,MY Explorer2 does NOT. I failed to see yours is an SE. So,yeah,it could have an issue if the readings are WAY off. It seems to me that on mine the depth meter is much more truthful in Manual Sensitivity than Auto. In Auto,I can dig a 5" dime and it said it was 8-9". And this is after very careful pinpointing! Lots of variables can drag the meter up or down but if you have a handle on the rest of it you'll love the machine. My Whites also has the feature when you pull the trigger for pinpoint it varies in volume according to target depth. I also like that ALOT! I used my IDX for 3 years before I knew that existed,or what I was listening for...pretty sharp,huh?:lol: