Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Seeking max depth...

gkm710

I hunt a property that has produced 6 civil war era military coat and cuff buttons... Found them all with a BH Platinum...I have a new Fisher F4 and I know there are more buttons to be found... any suggestions as to maximizing my depth with the F4???

Use a big coil that will help, I've got an F5 and I use the 11" DD coil, I can reach a dime in my soil down to the 8" range and a halve dollar down to the 9" range.
Next run your sensitivity up to around 70, get a good ground balance, set the thershold to postive 3 and swing the coil as close to the ground as possible.
Remember, deep targets will often read different than swallow ones and will jump around more on the screen. Most deep targets (coins) will only read in two directions not four.

11 inch DD coil and set the sensitivity at max! I (once) found a sterling earring about 18 inches deep on a sandy beach, with my F4! It was hit and miss for sure on the numbers, and you had to be exactly over it! That has never happened again! Usually about 8-10 inches max!

When hunting for deep coins, I use an F75 with the 12" X 13" Nel Tornado Coil, and the deepest I can find a coin in clean ground is about 10" which is not very often. Most of the "deep" coins I find are in the 8"-9" range. I think most of the old coins still to be found that are in the hard hunted areas, are coins that are masked by another target.

I see the occasional comment that depth is over rated. For someone who's detector(s) can't hit a 9-11" deep dime, they don't know what they are missing, so depth would be over rated. I've had detectors that could hit coins at those depths and I can attest that there are more deeper coins out there then many believe there is. By the same token, I also believe that more coins are masked, in most ground, then are 11" deep. This is hard to prove, too, as there aren't all that many great unmasking detectors, either. So, again, we don't know what we are missing, if we can't hear it. HH jim tn

In my area, site conditions usually prevent that type of depth on a dime size target. Whether is trash level or EMI or mineral. I have coins that deep in my garden but I will be surprised to find anything much beyond 9”. CW lead, 8-14” all day long in these sand hills.

Also, angle or direction that the coil is in relation to the coin can make all the difference, coins that are deep often won't come in except from coming at it in a certain direction. You can not hear a sound say from north to south and then change your hunting direction to east to west over the same exact spot and you'll get a sound. I've even had deep coins only sound off from like a 15 degree window which leaves 345 degrees you couldn't hear anything.

Hunt when the ground is wet after a rain you will get better depth 90% of the time.
Some say up to 30% more depth when the soil is wet?

Hunt at a snails pace and cover ground by the inch. And then there is the concentration factor. HH jim tn

Use all metal, might go a bit deeper with less filters no matter what coils you use.

I hunt a property that has produced 6 civil war era military coat and cuff buttons... Found them all with a BH Platinum...I have a new Fisher F4 and I know there are more buttons to be found... any suggestions as to maximizing my depth with the F4???
The best way to achieve depth, is to scrape the site with a bulldozer. Detect and repeat.