Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Set up my Coin $tike this morning

Tony N (Michigan)

Special thanks to Michael NY for PMing me on setting this bad boy up with some good settings.

Now I just have to take it out over the holiday and dig me up some cool stuff.

Question: Is it better to have manual ground balance or . Auto Tracking on?
I guess Auto tracking is for a place where the minerals in the ground are constantly changing?

Also, I'm not really sure about the notch system.
To the left of FOIL, NICKEL, TAB, ZINK there is a black square. Do those black squares tell you those items are disced out or do you have to
go to, say, Foil and clear that black square so that there is no square showing for it to be disced out?

[size=large]Okay, took out the C$ during lunch to my test bed.
When the little black squares are next to Foil, Nickel etc. it means they are accepted.

Played around with the Sense and Thresh settings to hit my 9 inch deep penny I put in about a month or so ago.
My other detectors have a really hard time hitting it and some won't hit it at all. The C$ hits it. It's not a strong hit but nonetheless, it hits it and gives a good number for it.
It hit on my quarter and nearly blew my ears off. I had to turn down the volume.
I am, without a doubt, impressed. I've kept this detector in the closet for about 15 years and never really figured it out. Now it's a piece of cake.
Can't wait to take it to a permission site. Hopefully this weekend.

Edited........ we have a classifieds section. Thank you.

Tony[/size]

Tony N (Michigan) said:
[size=large]Okay, took out the C$ during lunch to my test bed.
When the little black squares are next to Foil, Nickel etc. it means they are accepted.

Played around with the Sense and Thresh settings to hit my 9 inch deep penny I put in about a month or so ago.
My other detectors have a really hard time hitting it and some won't hit it at all. The C$ hits it. It's not a strong hit but nonetheless, it hits it and gives a good number for it.
It hit on my quarter and nearly blew my ears off. I had to turn down the volume.
I am, without a doubt, impressed. I've kept this detector in the closet for about 15 years and never really figured it out. Now it's a piece of cake.
Can't wait to take it to a permission site. Hopefully this weekend.

Tony[/size]

The ID Edge coils are the same coil but they changed the pinouts on the connectors (for what reason I have no idea). If you have the C$/Edge Sunray probe you can flip the switch on the probe switch box to switch between coil types.

The C$ is a good machine as long as you don't encounter EMI, but does it love round things!

Cal_Cobra said:
The ID Edge coils are the same coil but they changed the pinouts on the connectors (for what reason I have no idea). If you have the C$/Edge Sunray probe you can flip the switch on the probe switch box to switch between coil types.

The C$ is a good machine as long as you don't encounter EMI, but does it love round things!

I wonder if I purchased an Edge 10" coil if Fisher would fix it to work on the C$?

Tony N (Michigan) said:
Cal_Cobra said:

I wonder if I purchased an Edge 10" coil if Fisher would fix it to work on the C$?

Not likely. I think you could do it yourself if you know the pin outs of C$ vs Edge.

Tony N (Michigan) said:

It's a common misconception that you need to rewire Edge coils to work with the Coinstrike.
You do not. They work just fine without any mods.

You DO, however, need to make a wiring mod (or use the Sunray) to use a Coinstrike coil on an Edge.
(The Edge detector will just blare full volume using a Coinstrike coil if you don't.)

I use Edge coils with any one of my (several) Coinstrikes all the time...no modification to the shield wire necessary.
(It's trivially easy to test/prove...just plug one in and go detect. I've gotten many deep silvers to prove it.)

The REAL problem with the Edge coils and the 10" coils in particular, are that most of them were made with defective insulation, and every one I've seen (and gotten) have shredded the outer insulation like spaghetti.
If you want to see how bad it gets, let me know...I'll take a picture and post it.
On the other hand, I've not seen an actual Coinstrike 10" coil 'unravel' like the Edge 10" will.

Good luck,
:)
mike

I've had things boxed up for years. I just moved and was going though some boxes and actually
found the large C$ coil and a really small one. I forgot I even had these! So I have three different sized coils!

I've been playing with settings in my coin garden trying to hit some deep ones.

For ground balancing the instructions say to hold down on the GB button two seconds while coil is on the ground then lift coil up around 6" and let off the GB button and the detector will sound off.
Mine sounds off immediately when I lift off the GB button. Is this correct?

I found more Indian Head Pennies with the Coin Strike than any other machine I have used.
All were around 8" deep range. I'm talking 20 coins in the areas I used the C$. I would have found many more, but decided to trade it for a different detector.

I can't remember exactly about the wiring at the coil connectors, but I don't believe there was any difference in the pin outs, but one detector the Edge or the C$
used a jumper between the at ground, the other omitted the jumper.

Mark