Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Settings for hunting US coins in mineralized ground?

88junior

Guys and Gals I just got a XTERRA 705 with stock 7.5 concentric 9" coil. I have anywheres from 2-4 bar dirt. It's Georgia Red Clay. If any of you hunt this type of dirt and could give me some pointers I'd appreciate it. Thanks Morgan

Morgan, I would disc. everything below 10 for hunting U.S. coins. Also may want to get a 10.5 inch DD 7.5 coil, the xterra seems to handle our NW Ga. dirt pretty well. Very Stable machine for coin or relic hunting. I've found that the 705 is on par with the F75 and T2 SE as far as depth goes, and maybe a little better in some ground. That's just my opinion based on my use of all three machines.

Barry

Thanks for the advice Barry. I've heard that 10.5 dd mid frequency coil is awesome. Where abouts in Georgia are you from? I'm in the Dalton/Chatsworth area.

Tunnel Hill. Been relic hunting since 1978. There is a significant increase in depth with the 10.5 DD coil, I think. My first digital machine was an xterra 50, and was, to me any way, a big improvement over the 1266x that I had used for several years.

You ever want to meet up and hunt let me know. Thanks Again for the advice.

88junior,

I have an X-Terra 705 and for coin hunting in my mild soil, I use the 9 inch concentric LF coil. Just got it a few weeks back and I like it.

Agree a DD coil would probably be a better coil for you soil.

I have a 5x10 DD HF coil I can let you try out. I am not familiar with your soil and not sure if that coil would help out, but if you want, I can ship it out to you to try out.

I sent you a pm therover. Thanks

I'm up in Virginia and some areas I hunt have the same kind of soil you are describing.
I have an XTerra 50 and bought the 10.5" DD coil not long after I got the machine.
That coil stays on my machine now.
Good coverage and I think it ID's well especially on coins and is a good choice in that bad soil like the others have already stated.

One point worth mentioning if this is important to you.. the 10.5" DD coil is not waterproof like the stock coil you have.
You can detect in wet grass and rinse the coil off, but it cannot be submerged.. thought it is worth mentioning.
Probably not a factor in your decision hopefully.