Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Short Video - Reactivity and Depth - be careful

earthmansurfer

I'll start by saying that yes, I am a newbie with this machine, but at the same time I'm a somewhat experienced detectorist and it is very clear on the Deus how important the reactivity (recovery speed) is. Of course it's important to things like separation but it's is surprisingly important to depth also. And there are ties to frequency as well (e.g. - lower frequencies can't respond as well to high reactivities in general). Here I play with the reactivity to demonstrate the relationship to depth. On other machines I've used (like the V3i) the reactivity speed (recovery delay on the V3i) did not affect depth that much - I did vigorous testing to prove this. Clearly something is different on the Deus with reactivity and that is probably why it is incredible in iron. I think there are other things about how this machine uses reactivity and how it handles and recognizes iron that make it quite unique.

I would strongly recommend not using more reactivity than you need. I check for what reactivity I need by checking the ground with no discrimination (to see how many targets/iron there are) and run with a disc level of 4 or 5 (sometimes none). Also,once you find targets you can compare reactivity settings to see how things are affected. I often up or lower the reactivity (or just change the program) in the field if the conditions noticeably change. You will lose a lot of depth running in Deus Fast over the other programs imo. So, run the program or a program that is best for your site.

Please jump in here if I've misspoken.

Hope that was helpful,
Albert

ps - Does anyone know just what I found in the video!?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uMk9rtXLac[/video]

Albert,
Another nice video. The emblem on the item you found looks like the star of David symbol. You see some wax stamps with the star of David on the internet but not sure about the SW.

Randy

:rolleyes:, if you live in germany get yer arss out and use the machine, your in one of the best places on the planet for the practicality of this machine, just lower the sens :) and tbh i have never dug a seal without incrusted dirt in the stamp and at 4-5" this would thump in deus fast let alone any other base programs and even in your vid its a dig signal from the start so dig what ever you where crossing at the start
your not around garmisch by any chance?

Randy, there is a very old Jewish village nearby so I sumise it came from there a long time ago when it was a factory. I will have to ask the locals. There were bomb fragments in the area as well but that always seems to be the case.

Aanda, I'm in Nuernberg but have been skiing in Garmisch ;-)
The ground was very clean and with the coil in motion also quiet. Why lower the sensitivity? Don't let the chatty coil at standstill fool you.
On smaller targets Deus fast didn't but whisper and Gm Power in 12kHz, reactivity at 1, hit very hard. I found a very small.old button at 5" or 6" that Deus fast wouldn't even hit on but I wasn't filming. Yes I was impressed with how clean it was but the soil was not that moist. Hey man, I am out hunting :biteme:

Btw - when the vegetation dies off I will re-hit an old swimming hole I rediscovered today - neighbor showed me. Pulled 5 coins in 10 minutes - very clear solid signals. Nothing special though. Hopefully some silver is there.

Earth I agree with you on reactivity. I had a chance to play with it today and I agree reactivity makes quite a difference. I like the fact that the Deus let's you make changes on the fly to see the difference without a lot of hassle. I often switch between programs to have a look at how that program sees the target.

Hi Albert, thanks for the vid. I agree with you 100% that recovery speed and discrimination has a lot to do with getting more depth out of the Deus. In addition, sensitivity, frequency, and ground balance play a major role as well. It would be interesting to see a vid with the settings that were provided in the max depth post. Their test target was a 2RM piece, not sure now that relates to US currency. Would you be willing to put together a vid and associated depth readings (in inches) using some of the settings below with a target that would be representative of an American coin, say a silver quarter or dime? I've never done a vid and do not have the equipment right now to create one. Would you be willing to take this on?

Sensitivity:

80 / 18cm
85 / 20cm
90 / 21cm
95 / 23cm
98 / 23cm

Frequency:

4 Khz / 23cm
8 Khz / 22,5cm
12 Khz / 23cm
18 Khz / 22cm

Recovery:

0 / 23cm
1 / 23cm
2 / 23,5cm
3 / 22cm
4 / 20cm
5 / 19cm

Discrimination:

0 / 23cm
1 / 20cm
2 / 19,5cm
3 / 17,5cm
4 / 17,5cm
10 / 16,5cm
20 / 16,5cm
40 / 16,5cm
60 / 16,5cm

Ground:

77 / 25cm
78 / 24cm
80 / 23cm
85 / 22,5cm
90 / 22cm

Yes 4-5 would be for extreme circumstances like old sites, decomposing iron, tons of nails ect.
I keep it in 1 until I start hearing a lot of iron I'll move it too 2.
Use the reactivity like disc...little as possible

Great video as far as recovery it would seem that in heavy iron like square nails you don't need depth so faster would be better....you would get less depth but you should hear the masked targets better and they will have a longer tone..