Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Simplex discrimination

weldor

Just wondered if anyone had any reports on how well the disc. works on small pieces of foil such as candy wrappers and aluminum foil. I have read dozens of reviews but no one mentions the disc. operation.

I spend most of my detecting time at old sites. Homesteads, old farm out-buildings, ghost town sites, etc. hat means I hunt in a lot of Iron debris, I usually like to hear Iron, especially Nails, Therefore, I have all the Disc. segments accepted in all three Disc. modes, and don't encounter a lot of lower-conductive foil-range targets. Since we've been getting a little improved weather as springtime gets closer, I have been working some older but busy parks where I encounter more foil-range discards. For that I can adjust the Discrimination and Iron reange segments in the Field and Park mode and deal with areas with more foil around the picnic areas or near the bleacher areas.

I have easily handled the lower-conductive foil by increasing the Discrimination to reject the first 4 to 5 notch segments. The first 3 take out most of the ferrous debris and then the 4th and 5th deal with the foil I've encountered. the only issue I am having is that we are stuck with the 11" DD coil, and when it gets trashy, like in those areas, I really wish I had a smaller-size coil to better isolate the good and bad targets. A 5" DD would be great or the very dense trashy spots, especially the old sites I like to work, but a 7" Concentric is what I am hoping for to use as a 'general purpose' coil in the Coin Hunter places that have the foil-type discards.

Monte

Thanks much for the reply that was was what I wanted to know. I'm going to get one in the near future and just wanted to make sure it's what I want.
I've been detecting since the 80's but haven't done much for the last few years.

Just wondered if anyone had any reports on how well the disc. works on small pieces of foil such as candy wrappers and aluminum foil. I have read dozens of reviews but no one mentions the disc. operation.
So easy to disc foil out , so easy to disc gold out at the same time. The pinpointing has very good sizing info (to a trained ear) on the simplex. I can tell if it's a foil clump or say a small ring .
Not all detectors have this inbuilt quirk...good feedback for sure...

On my detectors I've used in the past I could cut out foil and not miss any rings. Fisher 1265 X and a Tosero if I just almost eliminated nickles but not quite they would pick up most gold rings.