Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Small coil

Rob (IL)

I built a light weight SE and now think a small coil might make a nice park hunter. I've all ready have the 10x12 SEF. Does anyone know the weights on the SunRay X8 and the 6x8 SEF? I've be looking for a reasonable 6x8 but know luck so far.

I'm going to read Bryce's reviews again.

Personally I wouldn't expect an 8 inch coil to find much more than a 10 or 12 inch coil couldn't find.

A small coil needs to be less than 6 inches to have good separation ability.

The Sun Ray X-5 is excellent in the iron and has all the depth you need.

I hear what you are saying, I am concerned about weight right now hence the 6x8 or X8. I'm looking for a lighter coil to complete a less nose heavy setup. The SE weights in around 3Lb. I just needed the coil weights, no worried about separation. The 5" doesn't have enough coverage for what I want.

Oh, coil weights. I see.

Beware, some of those 8 inch coils can be as heavy as the bigger coils.

The lightest coil I can think of might be the Ultimate 13" at 480 grams. The Coiltek Joey is pretty light as well.

Super , Thanks Ezra, Ralph told me it was 15+ oz now it just need the 6x8 weight.

I built my light weight SE, the remarks I keep hearing is the Minelabs are heavy and nose heavy. So I took care of the heavy. Now I wanted to take care of the balance.

Bryce gives both the X8 and 6x8 high marks. He doesn't say one is better. So for hunting parks I figured a smaller lighter coil would do the trick. Maybe not.