Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Smart coils

Daniel Tn

Which coil is your favorite coil and why? I got one with two coils...the elliptical one and the 11" round. I've only got a couple of hunts on the Smart so far, but by far my favorite is the elliptical coil. The 11" one does go deeper...I have a bullet buried at 12 inches in my soil that the 11" will report with a high tone like it should. The elliptical one doesn't recognize the bullet at all. BUT...in both of my hunts so far, I have started out with the 11" coil to cover more ground and depth with...and just couldn't use it. It is very sensitive to EMI...at one site I had normal overhead power lines that the unit would get a whole lot of squirrely with. It made the coil extremely sensitive to bumping into things. Since I was in a cut soybean field, I was dealing with the leftover stalks of the soybeans...every time I would just barely bump one of the stalks...the machine would sound off. I tried reducing sensitivity and that didn't work. I came back to the truck and swapped out coils to hunt a different spot on this farm...and noticed the detector had settled down quite a bit. I went back to the spot under the power lines and didn't have the problem with the unit sounding off by bumping the stalks.

At another site, I started out with the 11" as well...and could only get about 30 feet from an electic cattle fence...I could actually hear the fence pulsating through the detector. I went and swapped out coils...detector once again settled down but I still couldn't get close to the fence.

I didn't set the world on fire with finds...but the sites I went to have been worked over and over by me and other people over the years. I went there to give the Smart a try in some of the heavy iron laden spots. I dug a few small pieces of brass...grommets and such. I was just curious as to what coil most people were using. I think I'm gonna stick with the elliptical one, although the 11" does go deeper.

Hi Daniel.
We made the decision to equip all the incoming Vista's with the 8 x 11" elliptical as the stock coil and we can special order the 11" round if someone wants one.
We believe the slight depth disadvantage to the 11" is overcome by the enhanced performance of the elliptical in the conditions that you mention below.
Also, the small 5.5 x 8" elliptical will be shipping by mid May.
Thanks for the feedback.

Daniel Tn said:
Which coil is your favorite coil and why? I got one with two coils...the elliptical one and the 11" round. I've only got a couple of hunts on the Smart so far, but by far my favorite is the elliptical coil. The 11" one does go deeper...I have a bullet buried at 12 inches in my soil that the 11" will report with a high tone like it should. The elliptical one doesn't recognize the bullet at all. BUT...in both of my hunts so far, I have started out with the 11" coil to cover more ground and depth with...and just couldn't use it. It is very sensitive to EMI...at one site I had normal overhead power lines that the unit would get a whole lot of squirrely with. It made the coil extremely sensitive to bumping into things. Since I was in a cut soybean field, I was dealing with the leftover stalks of the soybeans...every time I would just barely bump one of the stalks...the machine would sound off. I tried reducing sensitivity and that didn't work. I came back to the truck and swapped out coils to hunt a different spot on this farm...and noticed the detector had settled down quite a bit. I went back to the spot under the power lines and didn't have the problem with the unit sounding off by bumping the stalks.

At another site, I started out with the 11" as well...and could only get about 30 feet from an electic cattle fence...I could actually hear the fence pulsating through the detector. I went and swapped out coils...detector once again settled down but I still couldn't get close to the fence.

I didn't set the world on fire with finds...but the sites I went to have been worked over and over by me and other people over the years. I went there to give the Smart a try in some of the heavy iron laden spots. I dug a few small pieces of brass...grommets and such. I was just curious as to what coil most people were using. I think I'm gonna stick with the elliptical one, although the 11" does go deeper.