Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Some finds and a review of the Simplex

So, I've used the Simplex for about 45 hours now. I'm attaching a pic of some finds. At least ones worth showing. There have been lots more (like, at least 20 matchbox cars and various bits and bobs). I started the same as everyone else probably, in my own back yard. The Simplex is my 3rd detector. I've had a Bounty Hunter and a White's Spectrum (I think that's what it was called). I haven't detected in 10-12 years. In my backyard I was astonished at the things I'd missed. When I stopped detecting before I considered myself an intermediate. Now I realize I was probably still a beginner. I found toy cars, 2 rings, lots of clad, tent stakes, key to a chest freezer, key to a padlock, and lots of other stuff that was just junk but big metal that I can't believe I missed. I don't know what that says about the Simplex. Either I was a crappy detectorist before and the Simplex is easy to use and find things with, or I was a decent one and the Simplex is just that much of a better machine. Who knows. Maybe a little of both.

After about 45 hours I feel like I'm getting used to the machine. Learning the sounds, learning the VDIs etc. I've probably also watched around 45 hours of YouTube vids. and it's getting fun watching people's Simplex screens and calling what they're about to dig.

I'm running 2.78 OS. I've been told I shouldn't have upgraded to that, but for me it was for sure the right decision. 2.77 was too unstable for me, messed up my pinpointing, and made me not confident in my detector. I fully realize that other people will have the opposite viewpoint. It works for me, that's all I need to worry about.

I haven't dug anything very old. I look at parks as "soccer practice" and I'm actually glad I haven't sought permissions yet. I've needed time to get to know my machine, get better at digging, and get more confident. There's still a thrill for me EVERY TIME I dig even a clad coin. It's like magic. And when I pull jewelry out of the ground...even better! I recently found a silver mother's ring that I'll be returning to its owner, which is a huge bucket list thing I've always wanted to do.

Things I don't like:

• The shaft is very wobbly. Drives me nuts. As soon as I can get a different one / carbon fiber one, I'll do it.

• The VDI numbers are jumpy. It makes the Simplex a bit more of a "Beep and Dig" machine than I'd like, but that's also a user problem. The more I get to know the machine, the better I am at calling my shots. It's become a fun game rather than a chore at the first of this all.

• The buttons are STIFF. I get it, they need to be for underwater. But damn.

• I wish it had a poinpoint trigger instead of button.

• Need additional coils. WISH GRANTED! I'll be getting one as soon as they are available and I can't wait to re-cover the ground I thought I'd hunted out.

I know this review isn't super technical, but these are just thoughts off the top of my head. Overall, I think the Simplex is a great beginner machine that has the ability for a detectorist to grow into. I think it's easy enough, but powerful enough for a wide range of users.

If you've made it this far, I'd like to add one last thing. I know there will be people that want to argue / discuss what the Simplex is or isn't in response to this review. That's fine. Please keep in mind that these are MY thoughts about how this machine works for ME. I'm hoping something in here helps someone decide to buy, or even NOT buy a Simplex. I'd love to discuss, but I'm not interested in arguing. I'd rather be detecting. Thanks all on this forum!

Attachments

• finds-07122020-small.jpg
    finds-07122020-small.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 220
Wow no replies and this has been up here since the 12th of July???

Well I will give you my 2 cents........

I think your overall review of your new machine is very good honest opinion. It looks like your getting on with it very well too. I agree with you....do not worry about what download everyone thinks is better......the one that works for you is the best one anyways!!

I tried out the Simplex once. A friend bought one and wanted me to take it out into my test bed area. I have previously owned Nokta and Makro units on and off for the past several years. The build quality of them is very good.

I am kind of surprised though at how you say your shaft is wobbly......maybe contact the repair center and tell them about it. It should not be that way as all of the ones I have had are very sturdy.

I thought too that the buttons were kind of hard to press as well.

I did not really hunt with it though in a real outing. The only thing to me it lacked a little on was separation or recovery speed in my own test bed with targets next to trash. However i know this is due to the large search coil. A smaller one would have done much better.

I think your doing well with your new machine and it was a very good choice to get back into the hobby with. Especially the price point of it.

Wow! Thanks for the input! The shaft wobbling is a common complaint that I've read quite a bit.

I have over 60 hours on this now and I'm getting to know it quite well. I have no illusions that it's a perfect machine, but I think the features for the price point are great.

I can't wait for my new coil (but I have to because none are available!) I think it will make a big difference. Can't wait to re-cover all the places I've been. Pretty sure my next machine will be the Equinox 800, but that's a year or so away at the rate I'm pulling clad and rings to save for it.

I'm just super happy with this hobby. It's great for my mental and physical health. I need to work on getting up the nerve to seek out permissions. I'd also love to find a hunting buddy. Even though detecting gives me some great downtime there are times when I think it would be fun to have a friend along. Thanks for the comments. Much appreciated.

Yes with the stock coil the lower shaft flexes a bit. Had some other makes flex even more with the larger stock coils. Some say the flex is needed to prevent snapping when hitting a non-movable object,
which could happen using a rigid lower rod or even damage a coil.
You can stiffen the lower rod a bit by not extending it that far out. Extend the middle rod out more. That is if you don't need full extension...
With the new smaller coils, flex is not an issue.

With the smaller coils much easier to pinpoint, you may not need to use the PP button much, once you determine where the target centers. Almost as easy as a concentric, especially when using the 9.5x5" coil.

Something I will be working on is setting up three programs, so you can switch back and forth to use as three different discrimination controls. To help ID targets.

If 2.78 update works for you or any other detectorist, that's great. Nice that Nokta/Makro gives you a couple versions to choose from to make it a more suitable detector for the owner. The more time you put into using the Simplex or any other detector, the better you get with it. With 5 modes, its like having 5 different detectors for different situations. Takes time to get to know how to use them all at their full potential.

Yes, the buttons take some effort to press. Some one else mentioned attaching some clear, sticky back bumper buttons on top of them. I bought a package at the dollar store. Not sure how long they will stick.
They do make press the buttons 100% easier.

Nice review, good luck on your next hunt.
bumper.png