Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sovereign battery

GeorgeinSC

Apparently in my rush to get out of the rain i accidentally left my Sovereign GT on and totally discharged the battery last time i used it. . It has been on charge for a few hours and has not charged any at all. Have i totally destroyed a good rechargeable battery?

Is it Lithium ion ? Have you tried to see if it would fire up your machine ? If you think its totally dead , put it in your freezer for a little while 1/2 hr. to 1 hr. Then put it back on the charger to see if you can do the shock and awe. I've done it with some of my cordless tool batteries with success. If you still don't get a pulse you might have to call it. Then see if RnB innovations makes a battery for it , I have one in my Safari and my AT Max. very good long lasting. Hope this helps . Let us know. Good luck .

It is a nimh battery. Going to leave it on the charger over night hoping that it might wake up. Some folks say that can some times can get one to wake up by hitting it with a car battery charger. But with the sealed case i dont see how i can do that.

It is a nimh battery. Going to leave it on the charger over night hoping that it might wake up. Some folks say that can some times can get one to wake up by hitting it with a car battery charger. But with the sealed case i dont see how i can do that.

A total discharge should not be a problem if caught within a month, If for some reason you pack is shot, Batteries Plus are able to rebuild them reasonable. Mine were rebuilt in 2015-16 and still cookin!

a car battery charger is not a safe bet as I have seen many car radios ruin using them to run the radio. They put out higher amps than what our chargers put out.
Over the years with car batteries and also some of my other rechargeable batteries that got total discharge they have to be jumped to take a charge as I feel the charger has to see some voltage in order to charge. On car batteries I just jump from another battery and then put the charger on and let it charge both batteries at the same time for maybe 15 minutes or so and take the jumper battery off and let the charger recharge the original battery.
Now on the GT pack that I have done I have a SunRay charging cradle I use that charge from the metal tabs on the pack and not the port on the pack. Now I find another 12 volt rechargeable pack and jump the GT pack for a short time to get the charger to my Sovereign battery so it will charge. Has worked for me for a few batteries that were stone dead, just make sure you connect the polarity correctly.
Dont know it it is recomended, but has worked for me several times. Tried replacing in one pack with bigger Mha batteries, but didnt work too good as they had solder tabs and wasnt able to solder them good and wounded up shorted the batteries trying to put it together in the pack and had fire and smoke and a melted case, but I tried.

Good Luck George and hope you get it charged back up.
Rick

After a number of hours on the charger i unplugged the battery and left it sit for a few hours after the machine said the battery was stone cold dead. . Late yesterday evening i plugged it back in to the charger. After a couple hours the indicator light started to dim. So i left the battery on charge overnight. This morning the indicator light says full charge. I crossed my fingers and put the battery back in the Machine. Had a nice steady threshold. Now to go test it to make sure that it did charge. fully. I may have dodged a 100 dollar bullet.

Took the GT for a stroll thru a tot lot yesterday evening. l picked up a buck in clad and machine worked like it should. Had to wait until the temps got down into the 80's. So the dead battery came back to life. Whew

If it's a dead duck and it's been that way for a while, yes it can damage it.
If say the battery is 12V, 1500 mAh, and you have a smart charger to where you have a pot dial to control the amperage, and a power source of 13.8 VDC, you have to hit it hard at 1.5 amps for an hour, watch the temperature, and yes it could explode, but not likely, so do it on a metal shelf in your garage or outside, after it gets hot for an hour, drop the amperage to like 500 mA for the remainder of the charge, I've brought dead batteries back to life with a decent run time doing this, but they'll never be as good as they were when new.

You can modify your sovereign to run on 3-18650 batteries. It’s lighter than the original and longer run time. Very cheap mod. I use recycled batteries and 3s 18650 battery holder off of eBay.

Attachments

• IMG_2001.jpeg
    IMG_2001.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1846.jpeg
    IMG_1846.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1844.jpeg
    IMG_1844.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
Is there component changes than need to take place? Is the voltage 10.8 v?
No, just wire in 3 - 18650 batteries in series and you will get 12v and it works fine. I’ve got several sovereigns and explorers running on this set up. You will get a lot more run time. I get several hunts before I even charge and it’s still got over 11 volts.